Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: hoboken
Default greek port fees and transportation to spain

in august i will be transporting my boat skater 32 from usa to greece and although i am not a greek citizen and the boat is usa registered will i have to pay port fees once the boat arrives in greece? I had planned on using the boat in the adriatic for a few weeks then transporting it to spain. the trailer is 2.9m wide and over the limit? can i obtain a permit for the extra width? how much would it cost to ship the boat and trailer(11.3 m length, 3480kg) by either roro or ground transportation to vigo spain? please help?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Wien

Is a skater 32 a motorboat or a sailingboat?
Manfred

Old 04-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Admiral

If Skater 32 is the supercat I just googled, I think it's going to cost you a whole lot of money to run it in Europe. Diesel can cost as much as $8.00 to $12.00 per gallon, and gasoline is worse. How much do twin 800 HP engines consume an hour? 30, 40 gallons AN HOUR?

As far as transporting, you need to find a yacht transporter. There are several, and only they can help you with quotes of cost, time of arrival, etc.

I just googled "Yacht transport, USA to Europe" and came up with a few results besides Dockside. With no experience with the following, at least you could check them out:
Direct Boat Shipping.THE LOWEST RATES! Boat Transport, Yacht Transport.Boat transportation,marine,vessel transporting,delivery,USA,International, carrier,Australia,Uk,sale
Shipping yacht from USA to Europe | Carex Shipping

And in 2007 we shipped our PDQ MV34 from Florida to Finland and back to US again 3 months later, on Sevenstar, Sevenstar - Yacht Transport over Seven Seas | Europe

I think the total cost was about $10,000 or $20,000! Not cheap, eh? But they handle all port entry formalities, fees, etc.

There's another transport company that leaves from Port Newark to Finland, but I can't remember the name of it.

If you ask me, if you're just doing this for a season, you're better off chartering a boat over there. Less wear and tear on your own boat, 'way fewer headaches and delays.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Wien

hi,
I cannot recommend to run a motorboat in Greece because of 3 reasons:
1. Greek people do not like motorboats and you will find little hospitality.
2. Greek officers act how they want. They like teasing motorboat-owners. Greece is a 2nd-world country. There are laws, but the officers handle them how they want.
3. From June to September the Meltemi is blowing. Wind force 8 and plus is normal. No fun!
I recommend Italy, Spain, Croatia.
Yours
Manfred
Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

I think that mmvk is wrong in saying that "Greek people do not like motorboats" Most Athenians have motorboats. Greeks are anything but hostile to motorboats. However, many sailboat cruisers like myself find a large number of motorboat operator behaving in a non-seamanlike manner.

The main problem is the extremely high cost of fuel, which has just gone up again.

It is true that Greek Coast Guard officials apply the existing laws in an inconsistent maner. It is good that a boat owner should become familiar with the laws and if needed remind them to the officials. I found this also true in Italy.

The meltemi does indeed blow from late June to mid September but force 8 days are a few and seldom more then 2-3 consecutive ones.

Chartering is a good option.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spain