Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Anchor winches

A request for infomation from the wiser and more experienced members of the forum.

I have a sixteen and a half ton, steel, high sided ketch. I am seeking some advice on the best electric anchor winch to fit to her in terms of power and reliablity (and if needed repairs).

Current anchor is thirty kilo plough and an all 12mm chain rode. The intended usage is long term tropical cruising.

I will appreciate any advice offered

Old 10-25-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

G'day Ken,

Firstly - consider the material of the mounting hardware, especially if you have a metal boat. The windlass will be taking a constant dunking in seawater and there are many dis-similar metals involved, plus electricity.

On our last boat I installed a second-hand Maxwell horizontal electric windlass. It worked great and was easy to install. I used welding cables for primary conductors because they were readily available, cheap and flexible - but mostly because we were in the Philippines and was all I could get. I used a simple hand controller switch with a wire long enough to reach the bow.

Our present boat came equiped with an old, broken Maxwell vertical windlass which was no longer in production. Besides a British motor which was impossible to get parts for, the aluminum mounting flange was corroded beyond belief.

I've always tended to be "brand loyal" but decided to purchase an Italian made Lofrans vertical windlass this time because I was able to get a more powerful, larger unit at less cost than the Maxwell I was considering. Plus, the Lofrans was readily available in the Caribbean (no shipping cost), allowed for a more flexible motor installation and offered more accessories (including a wireless remote).

Two great advantages to installing an electric windlass vs a manual windlass: Anchoring will no longer be a back breaking chore - so you'll begin to stop at more places while out cruising and you'll be ready and able to get out of a bad anchorage when the weather turns for the worse.

Lastly - it's always a good idea to size up if you have the space.

"Nothing too strong ever broke."

Cheers,

Kirk

Old 10-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Commander

Muir Winches are at Labrador on the Gold Coast and will give good advice on what size would be suitable. Then my adice is to go up one size. I had a 2 speed manual winch that took forever to get the anchor up and by then I was running short on energy. Now it is just pressing a foot pad on the bow to raise or lower the anchor; it can also be done from the cockpit. Definately the way to go!!

Regards

Peter Yacht BEDOUIN
Old 10-31-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the reply fellows. I will take the advice and talk to muir winches and see what they have to say.

I like the idea of just stepping on a switch instead of busting a poofa valve

Ken
Old 11-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi

You might also want to consider getting a larger anchor as a 30lb plough on your yacht sounds rather small. I have a Nilsson V3000 (NZ) anchor winch on a large steel yacht and haven't had any issues.

Jackiy

'Behemoth'
Old 11-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Commander

Not a 30 lb anchor Jackiy, it's 30 kgs so it is plenty big enough for his needs.

Regards

Peter
Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 AM   #7
Ensign

Hullo all

I made a mistake. I have two CQR on the bow, one is 75lbs and the other is 45lbs. The rode is two inches long by half an inch thick link 100% steel chain. I intend to add a reef pick to this lot for short stays over coral.

Ken
Old 11-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Commander

Hi Ken, If your talking about the GBR don't use a reef pick over coral. Some of the reasons are that firstly; it's illegal to drop an anchor on coral and the fine is substantial. The anchor and chain will damage the coral. there are public mooring bouys in most of the areas of coral that are worth visiting. Between patches of coral that don't have mooring bouys there is large areas of sand that are easy to see; drop your CQR on that and your OK. A reef anchor won't hold well enough in the strong tidal currents. I haven't seen anyone trying to use a reef anchor up there. Save your money and spend it on something else Ken.

Regards

Peter

Yacht BEDOUIN

Tags
anchor