Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: key west
Default routes from hawaii to san deigo

I will be leaving Hawaii around the first of the year, headed for San Deigo. I am looking for any suggestions concerning passage.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

If it's not your boat, suggest you take a plane.

If it is your boat, let us know what you're sailing and why that's the time for you to make the trip.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Ensign

yes it is my boat a gunboat 62.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #4

OK. That's a very nice cat--there's one on sale on Yachtworld (a 2002) for over $2M. The sort of boat that everyone wants but nobody has. I'd expect the owner of such a vessel to have quite a bit of sailing experience or a crew who does. What is your sailing experience? Ocean sailing experience?

What may dictate what you do is your insurance. Which company do you have? Have you checked with your insurance company on the requirements for sailing bluewater between HI and CA? How many crew do they require aboard for the passage?

Why are you considering doing this mid-winter? It could be a great trip or it could be brutal weather. You'd be better off doing this later in this summer or waiting until the next summer. Suggest you take a look at the Atlas of Pilot Charts for the North Pacific. It provides good historic data on weather, winds, waves you're likely to encounter.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for that info. I am the owner and have extensive sea milage, looking for advise on headings. I havent made that passage and looking for someone who has at that time of the year. I understan that if you head north for a few hundred miles then follow the westerly to the north coast of califonia and then down the coast.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snl adventures View Post
Thanks for that info. I am the owner and have extensive sea milage, looking for advise on headings. I havent made that passage and looking for someone who has at that time of the year. I understan that if you head north for a few hundred miles then follow the westerly to the north coast of califonia and then down the coast.
During the warm months when the Pacific High has set up, sailors go north several hundred miles and then head eastward, yes. Many sailors try to follow a 1020 mb line, others have other tricks for good wind around the High, wherever it may be at the moment.

During the winter months, the high will not be there. The storms which you'll see coming from the west and north (think Japan) will come barreling across and down upon you. Gross generalization, but you get the picture. Will you have the needed winds? and where will they be? What will the wave action be? It will entirely depend upon the weather at the exact time of your passage. Since the High is transient to nonexistent mid-winter, certainly you'll not be traveling far north to get up and around it.

You could have a great trip, yes but it will really come down to the exact timing of your trip. Again, heavily suggest alternative timing. Did you bring you boat to HI? If so, from where?

Fair winds,

Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
Ensign

There is a fellow who made the trip in January '10. He is/was a member of SSCA. Might see if you can get him to respond to a request on their Website. Believe he has an Olson 38 mono. Said the sail was pretty mild. Used a weather router and hung out in Hilo till he got the go sign. Can't remember much else about what he said about the trip but the weather guy seemed to be the key to his relatively easy passage.

Tags
hawaii