Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist
Unhappy

Ok, my turn to ask for help.... again...

I'm still in Hull, MA... great place but I'd like to start heading south... sadly it's all southerly for as far as the eye can see, especially with the current tropical storms ... I thought about beating around Cape Cod or slipping through the Cape Cod Canal but both options I think will just see me pinned down only a short distance south still waiting for the winds to shift...

after lots of googling all I am seeing is talk of south-westerlies... Apparently all the spots I wanted to stop on the south-bound trip are places normally visited on the north-bound trip...

Any one out there have a clue when the best time to head south from New England is?... I'd like to leave before the cold comes back but I'd also rather not beat and tack for 400 odd miles down the coast...

thanks.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Admiral

JeanneP is probably familiar with the passage that you have mind. She may be up in 2/3 hours

With the latest 3 storms coming out of nowhere after the Atlantic has been so quiet - certainly gets our attention.

Got this programme only yesterday - which is super BUT my learning curve the problem.

the first waypoint just off Hull MA - waypoint 22 just off 38d North

August Winds Off Cape Cod 9.7 ave out 225 degrees.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull_Ma_to_38_S.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1059

Name:   ways1.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:   way_3.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  19.5 KB

Name:   way_4.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  8.2 KB

Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Admiral

Actually my hope is to make a run directly from Cape Cod, either the outer passage or the Canal, and head strait for the Chesapeake, cutting out all the intercoastal waterways... problem is that's pretty much dead to wind at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

what program is that by the way?

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Admiral

Slight change in plans = 394nm from East coast of Cape Cod on a rhumbline course of

223 degrees. The prevailing wind in September out of 225 degrees mean speed 11,6 knots.

Name:	2009_08_18_201530.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1063

Lots lots of diesel - chug chug chug !!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Admiral

yeah that's the problem... i'm on a sailboat... not near enough diesel to chug alug that kind of distance... doesnn't the wind ever turn northerly here??

Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
doesnn't the wind ever turn northerly here??
Yea...right in front of a nice big hurricane

Seriously, don't know...but....there's a cruiser from the East Coast anchored behind us--the fellow spent 20 years sailing his ketch up and down the east coast while stationed at various bases in the Navy...I'll ask him what's the scoop when I see him later today.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Ensign

I've done that slog many times, getting back here to Beaufort, NC.

Unfortunatly your timing is poor.

It looks like "Bill" will turn north in a few days and head toward NE.

I wouldn't do the outside trip.... it will be nasty and risky.

WATCH THE WEATHER....

Do the CC Canal thru LI Sound to Sandy Hook. Stay inside the Hook in Horseshoe Cove and when "Bill" is North; you should have a lumpy rocket ride south. If it's real bad stay put in the Cove, watch the skyline, and wait for a weather window.

"Bill" could make NE a very umm "unhappy" place to be.

fred
Attached Files
File Type: html flash_bd_1_.html (22.6 KB, 5 views)

They may be more screwed up than you think.....
Fred R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #8

Hi there. I just spoke with the fellow from the east coast. He states the same as Fred--your timing is bad. Suggests that you wait to go south until a bit later post hurricane season...

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Admiral

I second (third?) staying inside Long Island Sound - you will be more comfortable no matter what seas are stirred up by Bob. *Stay inside, because the Atlantic side of Long Island offers practically no harbor safe for a sailboat in easterlies or a storm. *Much, much too shallow. *

Are you familiar with GRIB files? *I love them for planning. *Go to*GRIB US *to download the software for getting the files, and practice reading them. *

I have found lots of weather windows, and one usually only needs a few.

Cautions:

For a sailboat, the New Jersey coast is awful, there's practically no safe harbor if you've got easterlies. *Even in moderate conditions, unless you've got westerlies, you have to be very, very careful. *That's why Sandy Hook is pretty much the last NJ port to be in. *From there we head straight down to the Delaware River, finding shelter in the port of refuge, Cape Henlopen. Take it carefully. *There's nothing there, it's a state park and lots of sand, no stores, nothing. For any kind of supplies or communication you'd have to go into Cape May.

Then up the Delaware River, through the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal (I personally dislike this canal, currents are swift, stopping at Chesapeake City can be a nuisance because the current is so strong that you should have help tying up, and ideally do at slack tide - get tide and current charts and times) and down the Chesapeake. *We usually do not go through the C&D canal anymore.

You can wait for weather windows here or go down the ICW anchoring every night. *If you haven't done it before, it's a lovely trip - once - though I still enjoy revisiting certain places.

The ICW in Georgia is so shoal-encumbered that sailboats should be very, very careful and not travel except on middle tide or above. *Our first trip south we chose to go offshore from S. Carolina to Florida - if the weather is good and no northers, a reasonably quick sail.

Choose some good harbors to tuck into to wait out weather, and have a lot of books. *The Chesapeake is lovely with good anchorages, lots of museums, and generally a nice place to be. *But they all get old as the weather gets colder.

Do not sail near the Gulf Stream in a norther. *Do not. *Here's where GRIB files will help you.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Ensign

With all due respect to others I (an offshore guy) would take a different approach. YMMV.

From your location and wanting to get to the Chesapeake with no particular time demands (other than weather and seasons) I'd sail to Bermuda after Bill passes. Clear customs and anchor in Convict's Bay. Visit BEUI and the Naval Dockyard, get water and fuel, provision a bit, and head for Cape May. Up the Delaware and through the C&D (not that bad) and you enter the best cruising grounds in the US (IMHO).

BTDT.

Happy to collaborate on your plan.

S/V Auspicious
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Chesapeake & Delaware Canal...
I second the opinion about the currents in the C&D Canal. I've been through twice and hated it both times.

Once you get to the Chesapeake, spend some time at anchor around and about the area. There are countless little coves to duck into and spots to anchor -- IF your draft is under 5 ft! It gets more difficult with a draft over 6 ft.

Once you get down to the lower Chesapeake, you can even make your way UP the James River a bit. Well, actually you can make your way up the James (motoring) all the way to Richmond but it's not a very pretty trip up that way. I've got friends on the Rappahanock River in VA with a place on the water who state the anchoring (out) is deep enough for my 6'6" draft boat and bridge clearances are good, too--PM me if you want their phone number and contact info since one is a sailor and they would welcome you to visit with them for a bit. There's a marina nearby, but I do think the anchoring is free (out in a channel though) and its right in front of their house. I haven't been to their new place yet, but it's a former lodge on the river and they keep a power boat anchored (in shallower water) and it sounds to be a great place.

Don't bypass the nation's capital! Mooring adjacent the Gangplank Marina is worthwhile even though you pay, (as I mentioned) to access the dingy docks and showers for the days that you use the docks. You can metro to all the sights, the museums are free, the bars are good...it's the only place I know of that you can readily metro to a Costco! Actually, PM me and I'll send you a short-list of folks who'd be happy to meet you and offer assistance if you need anything while in that area.

I figure you're likely to want to head south very quickly, but that whole area is really worthwhile to explore.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
With all due respect to others I (an offshore guy) would take a different approach. YMMV.

From your location and wanting to get to the Chesapeake with no particular time demands (other than weather and seasons) I'd sail to Bermuda after Bill passes.....
Wow.... great idea, my Mom was born there and I've sailed over several times... great place....

.....HOWEVER....

Sailing to Bermuda in 'cane' season is like leaning into the punchs. Could be an insurance issue as well.

The Isle is what the locals call "In the bloomin traffic" of the storms.

I'd be safe and play in the Chessie 'till the season winds down.

The C&D is a pain, timing is everything.

I delivered a 30' Cat with a 9.9hp kicker thru there.

That little motor screamed the entire way.

It popped us out just fine.

Once we were thru we rocketed that Cat down the bay with the knotmeter pinned. Making up lost time....

Most fun I've had with my clothes on !!!!!!

Stay safe.

fred

Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Admiral

I was just looking at my charts and the weather and thinking the same thing... glad to have you all (most at least) confirm it. I like ocean sailing much more than coastal sailing but I think I will have to come down the coast at least through the Cape Cod Canal and the Long Island Sound, stopping and hopping when I can till the heavy weather passes.

I have Grib US, although I rarely use it... I generally just go to www.passageweather.com which is a great resource,

As for the Capital, I actually lived there for a couple of years so seeing it from the water would be new but I've been most everywhere worthwhile on land there... by whatever means I eventually get there I'll probably not stay long this year as I'm running a bit late and would really rather just prefer to be passing Savanah in November, when my insurance lets me.

Cape Henlopen sounds especially nice, I'm off the grid with wind + solar and lots of water storage so I'm happy to have no facilities most of the time... and my draft is only 4.5 so I can get in most places alright.

thanks for all the info and advice,

Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
Admiral

Not sure from recent posts as to when you plan to leave Hull MA; in the meantime check out our

StormW's synopsis regarding Hurricane Bill and its proximity to New England. H E R E

A mean looking storm just missing the Leewards :-

Name:	Hurricane_Bill.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1073

Take care
Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
Admiral

Don't worry, I'm not leaving Hull this weekend... outside the cape will be F5-6 northerlies against seas building to 4m from the south-east by Sunday... that's one ugly combo... inside the cape it'll be a lighter winds and only to 2m seas but still not worth the trouble as I have no real timeline...

hopefully next weekend will be better (I work from home/aboard during the week.)

Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
Admiral

I see that TS Danny is forecast to mess up this week-end's plans. Might even touch on long Island ?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #17
Admiral

Yup, today is a beautiful light northerly and I was hoping to get through the cape today but some predictions have Danny smacking right into the armpit of the cape Saturday... so here I sit, still twiddling my thumbs.... hopefully Monday after Danny passes...

Old 08-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
Ensign

Sit tight till Sunday when 'Danny Boy' should be past.

There is another possible eye forming mid Atlantic, that may be a factor, down the road.

You timing may force you to harbor (bar) hop down the coast, taking advantage of every little weather window.

Don't worry you will not be alone.

When I had to do it several years ago, by the time I hit the ICW in Norfolk, there were 9 boats in our 'snobird' club.....

Bar/harbor/marina hopping down the coast to the Keys......Great time....

fred
Attached Thumbnails
atl_overview.gif  

Tags
england