Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Commander

My stomach have bad feelings against anything containing glutene (wheat, anything made from flour is bad, but rice and maize is okay).

In the land it is easy, at least I don't have to eat junk food, and have a lot of meat.

But I am wondering what can I do at sea, especially when crewing others' boat, and not wanting to be an extra burden with my strange food preferences.

For me eating the same food for weeks is no problem, so I just have to find something which can be easily stored in cruising conditions, have high energy and preferably lots of protein.

Any ideas, anyone else with similar "preferences"?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Admiral

If you are indeed allergic to wheat, called celiac disease or sprue, you should not consider your food preferences to be just a strange food preference. For some more information, here's one link Sprue

Avoid wheat flour, barley, perhaps oats. You should read ingredient labels carefully, to be sure there's no wheat flour.

You can bring along rice flour in order to substitute it in preparation of various foods. Mix potato flour and rice flour and this can be a reasonable substitute for bread or cake-making. Of course, this means you need to practice baking before you try to impose this on your boat mates, though. Potato flour is very tricky to use. Combine rice flour and cornstarch (corn flour outside the US) for a substitute coating for fried foods. It's really better than wheat flour because it doesn't absorb as much of the cooking oil as wheat flour does. Corn flour (cornstarch) is better for a thickening agent than rice flour. NOTE: Real corn flour is hard to find, but for preparing fried fish I think it's the best. Corn bread made from scratch (not a packaged mix which will contain wheat flour) is quick and easy to make, and good.

Corn tortillas are good (DO read the ingredients label to be sure that there is no wheat flour included), and fortunately they are now pretty common most places in the USA. An added advantage is that in the areas with a large hispanic population you can find packages of them that have a long expiration date, and the packages need not be refrigerated until they're opened. I prefer tortillas to regular bread, and so stow a lot of packages when heading outside the US.

Most grocery stores now sell rice crackers, again something that I usually prefer. For a nutritional snack, most "Oriental" snack mixes contain nuts, dried peas, and rice snacks. Good snack food. Some have dried fruit.

I can go on all day, so think of some things that you like now that contain wheat flour and I'll try to come up with a substitute. That way the things that few people like, but I love, need not be mentioned.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Commander

Thank you for your post. Fortunately my case is not serious, I don't exactly have celiac disease.

I don't want to impose anything on boat mates, this is why I am specifically looking for things with long expiration without need of cooking.

Tortilla is a good idea, I don't know why I did not think about it yet. I'll try it and see how long can it still be eaten.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Admiral

There are lots of foods, but my suggestions might not be appropriate depending on where you are located. For example, there are many canned meats available. In SE Asia one finds lots of canned pork, of various qualities. in the US, or where there are a lot of expats, canned ham, chicken, tuna are all readily available, many in single servings. In France and Venezuela one can find many varieties of canned tuna - some plain, canned in oil or water, with chilis, with various other vegetables, etc., etc. I love them.

Again in the US, many of the canned meats nowadays are packaged in foil packs - less metal, more convenient to stow or carry in baggage.

Dried fruits are also a good energy snack to carry with you. Lots to choose from almost everywhere.

Help me. Where are you located?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
... canned meats ...

Help me. Where are you located?
Well I am used to eating meat with nothing else. But only some kind, and I certainly could not do that for a week in row. Here is where tortilla comes into the picture. Whole new world of possibilities.

I am living in Hungary. Meatwise we are halfway between Germany and Iceland: liver is a usual food, pork jelly is a delicacy praised by the elderly but rarely eaten by young people, and even my favourite chow hall discontinued selling boiled pork head long ago

Tags
food