Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi,

I have recently purchased my first sailing boat and she is moored in Altea, Spain. At the moment the anchor is a folding grapnel type which I know is totally unsuitable as a main anchor. Can anyone tell me what style of anchor I should go for. I can't look at other boats to see what they use as I am not due to go out there until next week. Can't wait!!!

Regards

Terry

Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Congratulations on your new aquisition - have many years of enjoyment.

We need to know the size of the boat in order to suggest an appropriate anchor.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Ensign

Colvic 26. Please see profile.

Terry
Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome! and congrats on your new boat.

The nice thing about the numerous types of anchors is that you'll find situations in which each type will excel. While many folks my get all wrapped around the axle about what is "best"...and there's no reason to re-hash that kind of discussion here...just make sure you've looked at the manufacturer's recommendation for size of anchor for your particular boat size/displacement. Then, either get what they recommend or "upsize" it just a little bit

Our boat has three anchors aboard--a CQR (Plough type), a Danforth (fluke type), and a Fisherman/Luke style anchor. All three have their place and time to be used. Don't count on a single anchor to take care of you in all situations--see if you can't find two that are different enough in design (e.g. the CQR and Danforth) that they will be able to be used in very different situations.

Best of luck to you.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Hull
Vessel Name: Tadpole

Congrats on your first boat ... I would echo the advice to "upscale" ... your boat is 26ft so go for anchors ( yes - plural & different types) for a 36footer ... the same goes for chain - go one size up & carry as much as you can stow .... also consider carrying a chain & line combination anchor rode with 20 feet or so of really heavy chain ( this is what "sets" the anchor & keeps the shank down) joined to 200 feet or thereabouts of 3 strand nylon line ( about 5/8" or 3/4" ) .... depending on your intended sailing grounds, average depths of anchorages, tidal ranges & the nature of the sea bed you may, at times need to deploy as much as 10:1 scope (length of rode to depth of water) .... my general purpose anchor is a Danforth type but it refuses to hold where there is eelgrass on the bottom ... my standby emergency anchor is a CQR plough ... I am considering adding a third anchor as backup & it will be a "claw" type ....

Hope you find some of this useful ...

Fair winds
Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Ensign

Brilliant replies. Thanks.

Regards

Terry
Old 07-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Commander

Find (and buy) the book "Complete guide to Anchoring and Line Handling" by David G. Brown. It is published by Hearst Marine Books.

It is not a huge book, but it covers every question you have regarding anchoring.

Including:

What type of anchors work best in what bottom

What size of each anchor is recommended for a given boat size, and why

What type of rode is appropriate: what size, length, and type

Regardless, here are some quick suggestions:

*For your 26' boat, I'd recommend 5/16th BBB chain. You'll likely tear out deck hardware before the chain breaks. The rule is: 1 foot of chain (.3 meters) per foot of boat- MINIMUM, and more is better!

*Anchors have a similar rule: 1LB of anchor per foot of boat- MINIMUM, and more is better!

*Put a swivel between the anchor and the chain, or between the chain and the rope.

*If using an all-chain rode, you'll want to rig a rope "snubber".

Regarding the "recommended anchor sizes" you'll see from manufacturers- those are rated for 20 knots of wind. If you need the anchor to hold in more than 20 knots, you'll need to go bigger than they recommend. A 30-35LB CQR would be a great choice, but carry more than one anchor (and more than one type). The Fortress FX-16 would be another excellent choice, and these don't rely on weight to work (the general rule of 1LB per foot does not apply here).

An anchor roller on the bow will make storing and deploying the CQR easy, while a storage bracket is recommended to hold the Fortress, which is light enough to be easily handled.

Tags
anchor