Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello sailors,

Does anyone have information/opinions on sailing: Seychelles-Chagos-Cocos Keeling-Australia (Onslow seems closest to Cocos). This should be 3628 nm altogether. Would it be possible to make this passage now in July? I heard the wind and waves would be against me at this time of year. The question is how strong is this wind and what about waves/currents. Is it still possible to do this now? Any known storms this time of year?

I am prepard to motor if this is possible. I would bring jerry-cans of diesel to last all the way. With 7 knots this should only take 22 days. I would be thankful for any information or comments.

Glenn

Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Admiral

Not in the area, I can't tell you the current condition of the seas and weather, but for a general idea of sailing condition, I would suggest that you download the atlas of pilot charts for the Indian Ocean, then listen to local weather information for current updates regarding the weather this year in the area.

Here's a link for the pilot charts. http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/maritime/?e...ec24fd73927a759

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome to the forums Glenn.

I have notified Tony Herrick of "Cruising Connections" in Durban of your query here so he should log on in the morning to give you some answers.

He has also compiled a few "Cruising Notes" for the region, one of them being "Indian Ocean Crossing Notes - East to West and West to East" (also available as ebooks for download from his website).

Good luck with the crossing.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
tankgirl

Hi,

These links might be of help to you.....

What's going on now....sometimes you have to mess with your internet security settings and/or hit refresh to get it to pop up. It's been pretty good for us in SE Asia. For that region and Micronesia we've used the streamline analysis mostly (great for typhoon watching!).

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC/WXMAP/

Also, here you can see the latest currents. Again, this has worked wonders for catching the counter-current between the Philippines and Palau....a friend recently caught it over and called it the LAX people mover....

http://www.oscar.noaa.gov/

Finally, you can go here and mess around with the archives for previous years. You can get a decent feel for the trends and seasonal changes.

http://www.bom.gov.au/nmoc/MSL/

We use the Pilot Charts and the above stuff to get a feel for what's up....sometimes the Pilot Charts just don't agree because the trends are a little early or late.

best - J
Old 06-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi Glen,

I hav'nt any personal expierence of the trip you are intending, however I have done some of the legs in the other direction. My thoughts would be that it would be a tough sail, almost always to windward, and with a slight current against you. The Pilot charts for July for the area around Seychelles / Chagos show 70% of the wind from the S E, and around 20% from the East, with the average force of 4 - 5. These strengthen somewhat closer to Cocos Keeling ( I can definatley vouch for that). The current mostly flows West at rates of around one knot. The swell would be mostly from the S E, often with "white horses" and quite steep. The best bet, in my opinion would be to get as much Southing as you can for the mjority of the trip, as the current lessons south of 20 deg S, and so do the winds. There are variable currents close to Australia. A hard trip indeed...take plenty, plenty diesel !!!

Oh, much the same applies from June to about September.

Good luck

New & Used charts, guides, pilots, flags, ebooks, etc., WORLDWIDE.

https://www.cruisingconnections.co.za
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia