Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Ensign

I've just joined this site. I have a monohull 42' yacht (SY SKARDU) currently in Phuket, half-way around a circumnavigation from England to England. I am looking to sail across the Indian Ocean during '09, and am weighing up the options of heading down to South Africa and around the Cape, or up through the Red Sea to the Med. Either way, I would like to meander my way across all the 'must visit' places and islands, and probably end up around Madagascar before then heading North or South from there.

I am looking for the latest possible start date from Thailand to start heading West. From some geneal enquiries there, it seems that a lot of cruisers prepare themselves for the Westwards passage over the Christmas and New Year period, and then head off in Jan sometime, but it might be still ok to go as late as Feb. If anyone has any further information or advice to add to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

The reason that I am trying to go as late as possible is that I have to get some work done (money required!) before I go... otherwise I simply can't afford it. The never-ending cruisers problem! I know it would be better to head off earlier, but in my case it's later or not at all! Ho-hum.

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tristan

Old 09-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Tristan - good to have you here.

For a start, there is some information on the Cruising Wiki HERE - click through to "South Indian Ocean passage - East to West".

Member MMNETSEA will logon in a couple of hours to add to this info I'm sure.

Let us know how all your planning goes and any further info for the Cruising Wiki would be great.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
Admiral

Hello Tristan,

On the assumption that the N.E. Monsoon is active, and understanding that it will take around 5 weeks to get to the eastern entrance of the Gulf of Aden - mid March would be a good dead line.

Obviously, the security situation will have to be considered - With wholesale hijackings taking place, no one is giving any forecasts at this stage.

If Madagascar is a destination with a view to sailing north from there, then the east coast of Somalia will require a wide berth.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks Lighthouse and MMNETSEA. I've just been trawling through your links. Am weighing up options; lots of possibilities and factors to consider.

I haste right now, but I shall probably be a regular user of this site as I prepare for this next leg, so am sure to 'see' you again.

Thanks, Tristan

Tags
africa, thailand