Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Ensign

hi guys. just a shout out from sydney.

I am an ex South African. ... spend my time spearfishing and gliding and am currently doing the day skippers RYA certificate.

Been sailing most of my life - but mostly as crew - but did share and skippered a little 23 footer. Just back from sailing in Croatia.

Quite a bit of dinghy sailing. Favourite experience was the Caltex 500 on Lake Malawi - a 10 day race ... i did about 6 of the days.

Truly Magic.

Grew up sailing in wild and windy Cape Town.

Amusing Moment - throwing up off the transom of my boat builder mates prototype yacht ... apparently i was the first to do so .. but admittedly i had been to a batchelors the night before and we were sailing in zero wind straight into massive head on seas and the boat was pitching like buggery and my other mate was holding a peanut and jam sandwhich under my face ... to see what the effect would be .. duh!!

Craziest moments - sailing a hobie 18 closehauled in a 35 knot gale off false bay - unsurprisingly even though me and crew were perched on the transom of the flying hull we pitchpolled and landed up 50m in front of the boat. uninjured. Right up there with surfing down massive waves on a 70m yacht in the pitch dark with all the electrics on board not workin ... gee the wash of the white waves light up real good in the dark!

Best moments - diving in the sea wiht 5000 dolphin, riding on the back of a whale shark that swam up out of absolutely nowhere

Perplexing moment- trying to work out how to tack a dhow that i hired off the east coast of tanzania

Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard. Make yourself at home.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Welcome!

You mention "Gliding"... I used to fly my paraglider at Stanwell Park, south of Sydney. Magic.

What is the marina / mooring situation in Sydney? We may settle there at some future point.

Again - Welcome!

To Life!

Kirk
Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Kirk,

Marinas in Sydney vary from the bizarre (no on water space, haul-out only) to the ridiculous (where you pay upwards of $2000/month for a berth at Rushcutters' Bay).

Having said that there is also reasonable, and any cruiser log folks out there are more than welcome to drop by Woodley's marina at Berry's Bay and check things out. Ask for me, I'm usually about somewhere.

Tags
sydney