Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Ensign

Default west coast USA to Thailand

I am an aussie living in Thailand. presently negotiating to buy a yacht, a 42' racer with pipe berths. The boat is near Baltimore. How do I get it to Thailand. I have very little sailing experience, but now have the time to fix that. From my research on the net I certainly cannot afford a professional crew ie. $400 us/day for a captain +++. I am waiting on quotes from shippers to say take it across either of the oceans and then with some experienced help finish the trip. which way is the safest via the med or via the Pacific? how long will it take, I do have some business committments, so i don't want to spend 6 months on the trip. can i do it for say $10,000 U.S dollars. and in 3 months?

Old 02-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Admiral

No. Forgive me for being blunt, but from Baltimore to Thailand is six months if you really rushed it. You've got to worry about hurricane seasons. It's a very, very long distance. And any crew you pick up is going to want to cruise, not rush. And with very little sailing experience yourself, you're liable to scare yourself before you have enough experience to finish the trip.

I also don't think you can ship it to Thailand for $10,000. But shipping it, in your circumstances, might be the best idea.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Hi Phillip,

I agree with Jeanne. A delivery crew will cost you a whack more than $10,000, and I doubt you could get a cruising crew to take a racer - they just aren't comfortable enough for a long distance cruise - and not built for it either. Shipping is the way to go. Have it shipped to Port Klang and then do the short sail to Thailand from there.
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks guys

Probably what I expected. I did'nt think the pipe berths would be a selling point for a potential crew member. I will wait for the shipping quote and research a little more. I might have to look at how much time I can spend on the voyage. Is 6 months rushing it, very short stopovers?

I am from Cronulla Beach in Sydney and have surfed around the world in huge waves, but i understand that in a yacht you cannot paddle in and sit on the beach when you are tired. What doesn't kill you is good for you. I guess i would need crew that want a tough sail not a deck chair on a luxury 100 footer, are they out there?

phil
Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Admiral

Baltimore to Singapore, going eastward through the Med and Suez Canal - against the wind, not the easy way.

10,412 nautical miles. At an average 6 knots (impossible to maintain, but worth considering), that's 72 days without stopping. No anchoring, nothing. 2.5 months. And it won't happen that fast. double that and assume that the weather will be right the entire way (it won't), and you've got 5 months.

That's why delivery captains get paid so much. It's work for them, not pleasure.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 02-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">Phil,

That must either be the Boat of your Dreams or the Deal of a Lifetime if you're negotiating to purchase a yacht sitting on the opposite side of the planet from where you want to be... and in a quandry on how to get it back home quickly & cheaply.

Don't look so far.

There is a whole fleet of tradewind sailors meandering west across the Pacific and many have had enough by the time they reach Southeast Asia and are ready to swallow the anchor and buy a condo.

There are lots of laid-up boats stored all along the west coast of Malaysia with highly motivated sellers. I personally saw FOR SALE signs posted on several fine & seaworthy vessels in every port between Singapore & Phuket. Try searching marinas, such as Sebana Cove, Port Dickson, Port Klang, Lumut, Rebak, Telok, Boat Lagoon & Yacht Haven.

Do yourself a big favor, mate. Apply the savings in delivery costs to close on the Deal of a Lifetime on the Boat of your Dreams right there in your own neighbourhood... which is, in my opinion, among the finest cruising grounds in the world.

Baltimore, by the way, is on the EAST coast of North America. And a LOT can go wrong trying to hurry across oceans to get home on a tight budget.

Happy Hunting,

Kirk
Old 02-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
Ensign

yes, i am getting the picture. The yacht could not be further away. Looking for a yacht last 2 months, the best three boats, around 50k US are on the East coast area. Would be close to double the price in Thailand. Maybe its the hurricanes. I did not think it would be that hard.

i am going blind researching this on the net. I am hoping shipping will be the answer, any ideas out there on cost to ship from Ft lauderdale to say New Zealand
Old 02-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #8
Admiral

Is this yacht listed on line somewhere? Can you provide a link? Have you had a survey done? If not, is your purchase contingent on a survey? A lot of racing yachts have been "run hard, put away wet." be careful. One of the reasons they aren't as expensive as a cruising yacht is because they don't have any of the amenities. No refrigerator, EPIRB, HF radio, etc., etc. little more than a starting battery, no house bank of batteries to run nav lights, etc.

A lot of stuff you should have if you want to take it offshore for a few days.

Do you want this just for racing? Why such a big boat?

SY WATERMELON |

Old 02-13-2006, 04:53 AM   #9
Ensign

hi jeanneP

Yes ,correct. Guys that want to be competitive don't seem to worry about comforts, refrigeration etc. Owned by a guy working in the industry, so well maintained. No interior basic head,cooker and nav station. good electronics all updated, radar, autopilot etc. Am waiting on a survey, and if i can get a crew, or can ship it close to home I would buy it. Sail it for a year ( learning) and then a simple interior done in Thailand where i live now.

Is it that big, I thought 38'- 45 was a good size. I'll grow into it. I must admit at Ocean Marina, Jomtien last week, a beneteau 49' looked huge

You rarely see somebody selling a yacht to downsize, i thought i would cover that now.

If I had your knowledge now, I would not be spending hours on here trying to pick your brains, it would be easy.

regards

phil

p.s if I get the yacht here you know where you can a day out in Thailand
Old 02-13-2006, 05:01 AM   #10
Admiral

It's never easy, and we continue to learn our life through, or we are dead.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |

Old 02-13-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
Ensign

Hey Phillip,

I'm up for hauling *** minimum comforts not a problem. Can get another person for sure. A third maybe and u got yourself a racing crew. 6 months unless going via cape of good hope, is double what u would need.

Wojtek
Old 02-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
Ensign

tks Wojtek

If i can get a crew with that attitude the trips on. The guy i am buying the boat from manages a large marina(the boat is well maintained). I will be making sure we will have all the safety gear needed. i might even fit a couple items to up the comfort level. What about navigation skills? I am assuming that via South Pacific Islands is the best and safest way. Is via Hawaii an option? my e-mail is sailblue@hotmail.com i could send you info on the boat.

thanks

phil
Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
Rear Admiral

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3">Hoo Yah Phil!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:13 AM   #14
Ensign

i just got home. I love the ya hoo

it 's 5 am Thailand

good nite all
Old 02-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #15
Ensign

I saw a show on the History channel, http://www.dockwise.com/?sid=13

Maybe they head in your direction and accordinge to the show, the avg price is 7500$ USD.

sv Serendipity
Jim Wasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 PM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Great!! This means the History channel has finally realised that the topics of Adolph Hitler and Bomber Harris have been done to death.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Ensign

heh, I thought I was the only one who thought that. But modern Marvels is a pretty good show.

Seriously though, this ship sinks itself and you drive you boat onto it. (after a surveyor looks at your boat and has the deckhands make the cradles) then it refloats, takes you to where need to go (at least their destination anyway), sinks and you drive off. They provide shorepower, water while you continue to live on your boat for the duration of the trip.

So basically while under way, you can do your bottom job and any other repairs, get to your destination quickly without having to pay in terms of time, sailing, motoring and fuel costs, flight bills and etc...

pretty neat I thought.

sv Serendipity
Jim Wasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
Ensign

First, some clarifications on Dockwise. You don't need a survey, but they will ask for a lot of measurements. I assume this is for pricing, capacity planning, loading order, special needs, etc. Divers will set supports based on what they see, not the measurements you send (and you will have black rubber marks on your hull). Second, don't plan on riding along. They have limited (legally, they say) passenger capacity. That is reserved for much bigger yachts with full time crews. In 2004, I think the stated cutoff was 70'.

More to the point, these posts are screaming this... "Are you sure this boat is the deal you think it is?" You have to consider the total cost of delivery. Purchase price and Dockwise's quote is just the beginning. If you get the 20% discount, factor in 5+ months storage. You must pay in full 5 months before loading to get the discount (10% is 3 months). You also have to get the boat to and from Dockwise's terminals. That means getting your crew to the boat, sailing to Ft. Lauderdale or Newport, RI for the loading (plan to get there early, and dates do change). Getting your crew to the unloading port (say Brisbane) a little early and spending a few days in a hotel since they can't set a specific date (costs still adding up). Then all that is left is sailing back to Thailand! One more thing, they also require written proof of marine transport insurance. I had BoatUS (my insurer at the time) send me a letter stating that I was specifically covered for this type of transport. They didn't charge me for it, but I was traveling from a covered area to a covered area. In any case, you will need to factor in insurance costs.

If you can add up these very real costs, and still say this boat is a good deal, then do it! Otherwise, keep shopping... and go into the next deal considering the "total cost of delivery". Good Luck
Old 02-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #19
Rear Admiral

It's tough trying to give sound advice and not sound like ones throwing buckets of cold water on someones lovely dreams - but I'm hoping this is one plan you don't see started without considering other options.

I'd always wish to think I'm the kind of person who always 'goes for it' and would normally encourage others to do the same - but we've enough experience to know sailing is not always fair winds and sunny days. It can get hard. And if it gets to hard one tends to give it up.

I don't think anyone wishes for you to get into a position where you might do that - as we'd loose a new sailing colleague.

But with respect - if you are truly new to sailing then perhaps the criteria you've set yourself (which make you want to buy a non cruising boat thousands of miles away) might be worth reviewing?

As others have advised, there are plenty of yachts in or around the Asian region which could possibly fit your budget, meet your cruising needs, get you cruising safer and quicker - and also in the region of your choice. A lengthy delivery trip by an inexperienced skipper, on what sounds like a most unlikely cruising and certainly untested boat, with strangers as crew, and maybe going the wrong way - is hardly the best way to get involved in long term cruising.

Especially as even if you make it OK, you'll still end up with a huge conversion job to do before you can comfortably consider moving on to cuising full time.

Sorry it it sounds like and old fart type response - but sometimes rah rah is not the correct advice to give. I really hope you get cruising one day - but please do it with due care for yourself and your crew.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 02-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #20
Ensign

Hi all

I have been busy. At this point a very good chance the trip is on. Via the Sth Pacific Islands. I have a very experienced Captain and some keen crew. The survey on the boat should be done soon weather permitting. They need above zero temps to untilize the testing equipment. I am looking at work needed pre trip ( safety/ batteries etc. ) America is by far cheaper than Asia or Australia, in some cases nearly half the price to buy a yacht. Shipping is out of the question. A quote to Bangkok was $40,000. I will do the trip for less than $10,000, have 4-5 months of the Pacific Islands, learn to sail, do some fishing and have an experience of a lifetime. My intentions at the moment are to do a simple interior and keep the boat light. The local guys at the marina here gave me their opinion, "great boat, can we race on it"

I will check the history chanel lead, thanks for the tip.

bye for now

Phil

p.s. How many people have sailed the South Pacific Islands and hated it even allowing for mishaps/illness/lack of wind?

Tags
thailand, usa