Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello,

my name is Greg. I'm 51, working presently as a tour leader in centroamerica. My cruising experience is not that great, just a couple of time up and down the West Indies (from St Martin toTrinidad and back)

but I love to be at sea. I crossed the Altantic two years ago as a passenger on a container ship, from Spain to Argentina. My goal is to make it around the world so my next step is to find a sailing boat from Panama to wherever the wind will blow, heading west.

I understand that a skipper needs to know a little about a would-be deckhand personality as a long term cruising might turn ugly if there is no fit.

I am a carpenter so all necessary wood/varnishing work is possible. Also, not by trade, but a reasonable cook as long as it is not too sophisticated.( I am good at cheap, plentiful meals and don’t mind gutting the odd fish). I speak French, English and Spanish. Might be helpful if heading for Polynesia or Easter Island.

As for my social skills, I am an average chess and backgammon and card games player, Not a musician I am afraid but eclectic in my tastes (I have a full week of music in my computer). If you guys like mariachi or hard rock full blast all day long, forget it… I read and write a lot, always eager to learn, whatever the topic. I like to think that my conversation is not too dull, but I certainly don’t mind silence..

That was the bright side. On the other side, I smoke (only outdoor). I am French (some people might resent it) I can be touchy and don’t take it always lightly when I am yelled at, even if I understand it under duress. I also need to learn nautical words if with an english - speaking crew. When it goes to survival, I’m a fast learner. I expect the skip and crew (if any) to teach me further. My long-term goal is to be able to skip my own boat.

Anyway a meeting would take place presumably at Colon. I was told that helping going through the canal would give enough time to see if going further is likeable for both parties.

As for the money, I am willing to share for food, but not over 10$ a day. Better if my skills (or my shining personality) grant me free passage. I won’t claim for any back ticket home, but I want to be enlisted as crew. Not ready yet to hide in a barrel when clearing customs.

If you think I can fit for your needs,you can contact me through greg dot renard at me dot com

cheers

Tags
arc, pacific, panama

« - | Crossing Atlantic »