Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Somercotes
Default Crew required,Florida to UK May 2012

Hi all.
Volunteer experienced crew required, for Atlantic crossing on a 47ft ketch.
You need to find your spending /travel costs and for any visa requirements Contribution toward food kitty...Fuel and yacht related costs paid by myself.
Boat has been very recently surveyed, all findings addressed and more. Safety gear is being upgraded...GPS Epirb, VHF/SSB, Liferaft, harnesses MOB gear. Tough older comfy boat, slightly cosmetically challenged,(loads of teak) but all important stuff upgraded, oversize chain plates/rigging...
Vessel is lying central east coast Florida...routing has to be finalised with the qualified ocean experienced skipper, could be Florida>Bermuda >UK......or......Florida>Bermuda>Azores>UK....or crew depending, direct. If interested drop me a line.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

Sounds like an interesting trip but if people are paying for food and other expenses, you are looking for passengers, not crew.

Fair winds!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Capt--good point that our crew finder is for non-paying crew. Sharing food expenses is pretty normal of course. And, crew usually do pay their own way in terms of transportation and re-pat. If you read closely, you'll see that Smiles is asking for shared food cost but will be covering his boat expenses himself.

All potential crew should keep a lookout for unexpected costs--that would mean having a skipper expect more than your covering your own food, transport to-and-from the boat, and visa... Ask questions about this up front.

Good luck to Smiles in filling the crew slot(s).

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Ensign

Default Weevil free diet

Sir, we have read the guidelines posted by the moderator 'Lighthouse'..... Asking for a contribution toward a food kitty is not unreasonable. Asking for anything else is..... Please note that we have only asked for a contribution toward food (Should prevent a weevil free diet, and guarantees the smell of fresh baked bread). We are not in the business of trying to profit from our Atlantic passage which is for the sole purpose of bringing our much loved, hard worked for boat home to the UK.. It is our wish that all who join us, benefit, have fun, grow and learn from the venture. And of paramount importance, we arrive at the desired landfall safely,with a glowing sense of fulfillment and achievement.... Many people only get this opportunity by crewing on other peoples boats.... and do it because they want to!

To clarify, all yacht related expenses including fuel, docking, will be paid by us....

Best regards...Graham... Vagabond 47 Ketch
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Southampton

Hi there,

Really interested in being crew for your journey. Do you have a specific date in mind? We're two British girls 22 and 23 on a Central American trip and are looking to head back to the UK around May time. We don't have any real experience but are very enthusiastic and keen to learn.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Amy
Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
Ensign

Default Re: Still looking for crew from Florida to the UK in May?

Hi there, thank you for your interest . However I will have to decline your offer...Crossing an ocean is a serious undertaking, crew members need to have previous sailing experience and sailboat skills that will contribute to a safe passage for all...I admire your adventurism, but I should think seriously about gaining some sailing experience first closer to shore..

Good luck, keep safe.

Graham.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

Sorry if I sounded like a stickler - you do meet the guidelines of our blog group and you are right, that is an experience that I would find worth contributing towards. The last Captain I crewed for was more of a professional boat manager (he oversees three yachts and moves them up and down the US East coast and across to the Mediterranean) so his definitions were very "by the book."

Fair winds!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
ensign

Home Port: staten island
Vessel Name: quiet storm

Hi Capt
Do you have any idea how long the trip will last, knowing that an exact schedule is impossible to predict and approx how much in expenses. I am interested in making a trans oceanic trip. I have been sailing for 6 years locally. I have taken diesel engine repair basic and advanced and the Marine Electrical Repair from Annapolis School of Sailing.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: montreal

Hello,
I would be interested to join you on your trip if a spot is still available.
My name is charles, 23 years old, student in Canada. I have a solid sailing experience, coastal as well as offshore (Transatlantic 2 years ago), sailing instructor training going on... When in May do you plan to leave from Florida?
My email is charles dot appmtl at gmail dot com, I will be happy to contact you via skype/cell if you are interested so I can give you more details about my sailing experience.
Look forward hearing from you,
charles
Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Smiles,

I am high school guidance counselor off for the summer. Have blue water experience, USCG license and celestial navigation criteria met. Live in SW Florida. Interested in leave date and expected arrival in UK.

DonaldB
Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Ensign

Default Trans-Atlantic

Hi there Don can you please forward me some contact details,
Regards, Graham.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Ensign

Hi there, we still have two EXPERIENCED crew positions available so if interested please contact swiftly as planned departure time (1st week in May) is fast approaching. We look forward to hearing from you.

Fair winds, Graham.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Ensign

Home Port: Phoenx

Hey there, If you are still looking for crew I'm wanting to get across the atlantic to Spain or thereabouts while getting some sea miles in. I have some sailing experience on a 37' vessel, cook, deck hand, diver, guitar player- so I can keep everyone entertained.
I'd love to know the details of the journey.
Cheers
Jon
Old 03-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Ensign

Thanks for your interest but no thank you.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
Ensign

Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Thanks, but I have just made other crew plans.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Ensign

Home Port: Newport Beach
Default Atlantic Crossing

Hello,

I am very interested, I have 1 Blue Water crossing last year, hawaii --> Puget Sound on 72 foot aussie schooner, I have a full season as deckhand on a tallship in the great lakes, and am about to be in Bahamas for the next 7-8 weeks on another schooner as a cook/deckhand...

I will be available last week of May, Early June, so if your departure date does get pushed back somehow, please let me know, I can jump on and flip for food, dates depending....

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #17
Ensign

Default Thank you/Update

Hi Kevin, we will keep you in mind, but we are still hopeful of an early start in May. Will update here if departure is delayed..... Fair winds to one and all.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
Ensign

Default Cancelled!!

Hmmm.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
Ensign

Home Port: east coast

Good day. My friend Beth and I are sailorettes, surfers, backpackers, musicians, and cooks. We would love to crew if you can make room for 2. We are practically one. We are currently in CO but can make it to FL ASAP! Thank you.

Tags
florida