Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Ensign

I'm planning a Seattle to Hawaii passage and will have two internationals onboard with me (One Canadian, One Kiwi) along with another American. The Kiwi is in the US on a one year "working" visa and is already cleared through immigration. What is proper procedure for arrival in Hawaii with a Canadian & Kiwi aboard for a stay that'll be less than 90 days with the Canadian flying back to Canada, and the Kiwi flying back to the US mainland? We'll obviously be transiting Intl waters, but never arriving in another nation while in transit. Am I going to need to Clear Out in Seattle, even though we won't be visiting any international port, but have International passengers onboard? This obviously isn't a question with an all American crew, but with all the convuluted new rules, I'm thinking that I may actually have to clear out?

Thanx in advance...

Old 04-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi ,

Best Advice is contact this department :-

Port Seattle Link

Richard

Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

Hi, I am an Australian and sailed to Hawaii as crew on a USA yacht as crew, from Japan, in 2005. Australians get a visa on arrival if flying in but I thought I had better check. It all changes if arriving by private means like a yacht, I had to get a visa before arrival, it just entailed a visit to a US embassy, to get a full page visa with photo etc. I would suggest you check with US immigration or Homeland security, and have your crew check with a US embassy in their own country. If there is a difference in the information you receive, adopt the most security correct one. Hope the sail goes well.

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Admiral

Stephen , As much water has gone under the bridge - and because of that fact, we find it much safer to for the skipper to contact the appropriate authority - in this case Seattle Port Immigration.

Specifically :- The Office in Charge

Pleasure Boat Clearance

Phone: (360) 332-7650

Richard
Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Lieutenant

It would be wise to ask for any clearance instructions from CBP in writing. I have found that you can get conflicting advice from different agents.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Hey, I came across this link on another forum:

CBP Reqts for Pleasure Boats
Old 04-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Hey, I came across this link on another forum:

CBP Reqts for Pleasure Boats
Thanks , it complements the link previously provided
Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #8
Ensign

Thanx everyone for the help. I hate dealing with CBP /Homeland Security here in Washington because a good deal of policymaking for Boating Rules takes place here an things are always changing to such an extent that you can talk to them one day and get one answer, and then talk to them another day and ask the same question and get a completely different answer. I'd been hoping that someone might turn up that has completed such a passage in this age of new rules (Use to be as simple as departing Seattle and just reporting for Agriculture inspection upon arrival in Hawaii!) But alas, it looks as if I'm going to have to go down and try to twist some arms to get the instructions I'm given put in writing (Something they're reluctant to do when they tell you that you don't actually need anything). I just don't trust new systems (especially ones in a constant state of change) The thing I'm most worried about is the Kiwi traveling with us. The Canadian is good with just her passport so there should be no problems there. But the Kiwi is on a Business Visa and we can't afford to dicker with having problems arise due to the Right Hand of CBP not knowing what the Left hand is doing in Hawaii - something I'm fully expecting to be the case (I noticed Hawaii was the only locale NOT included in the additional regional instructions! They have Puerto Rico and USVI's , but not the state of Hawaii!)

Thanx again for the advice. I'll share what I learn after my field trip to Homeland Security.

This clears up all but the question of multinationals aboard.

Quote:
Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
Admiral

Hi,

Finding it a little difficult to understand the reluctance to contact the Service Port in Seattle for the procedure necessary (if any!) to clear out of Seattle.

By Faxing this department in Seattle's Service Port with your questions relating to your crew - should get written answers by Fax :-

Assistant Port Director, Passenger Operations

Phone: (206) 553-5393

Fax: (206) 553-2940

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the contact numbers for the

Vessel Entry and Clearance Officer in Honolulu

If you fax them asking them to fax you the procedure

and requirements for entry with specific instructions and requirements for your New Zealander and the Canadian - you should have that in writing by fax return.

Phone: (808) 522-8012

Fax: (808) 522-8005

Operational Hours: 7:00 AM-4:00 PM(Hawaii)

Weekdays (Monday-Friday)

---------------------------------------------------------------

At the end of January THIS year new rules that apply to passengers and crew were promulgated :- See this official Website

It won't hurt to have an copy of the latest regulations regarding the subject under discussion here - if you get a copy or at least a link to a government website please pass it on to us for reference.

Good luck

Richard
Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Much of the above info has been on our Cruising Wiki (North America Page) for some time. Please update anything that may be missing on the Wiki.

Our Cruising Wiki is growing very quickly with lots of new stuff added daily so it is worth checking regularly. It is fast becoming a very useful resource.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs, hawaii