Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa
Default Key West, Babahamas and Cuba anyone?

Hi all!

Linnupesa got back from her extensive trip to ME and fortunately just managed to squeak back into St. Augustine FL before Sandy tore up the E. coast. Only got a few side-swipes off of Sandy as she was on the ICW with three anchors out, but nothing more serious than that.

Did have quite a few adventures in Maine though. Snagged by lobster lines on several occasions, discovered some wrongly charted granite in supposedly 12' water etc. ( Navigation by sampling geology: yup, the boat hook showed granite right next to the gunwale, 18" below the surface! ) A good rock kedge, grapnel hooks, a winch and a rising tide got us off in the pitch dark and a good few hours later. With the searchlight on for the lobster buoys and the just repaired radar scanning we got us into a safe cove by 1am... after we had repaired the rudder that got jammed up past its end stops in the grounding. That was just one of the exciting adventures...

Nevertheless, we did have major fun. Getting back was a bit fast and hectic, so we did go out a few times with small craft advisories about. One windy evening, about 80 miles offshore, we had 8 shore birds aboard, as if they knew my crew's name was Noah. Noah needed to get back, the reason we quick-stepped the return. We still ducked into the ICW at Norfolk, as going back around Hatteras seemed too dicey with the weather. Even coming out at Beaufort to go offshore it was still a bit rough but Linnupesa took it all in her stride.

Did see the Bounty while she was still intact in Boothbay Harbor, then, the sad USCG pictures where she was floundering in the Gulf Stream. Stricken in an area where on our way up past Hatteras, we had passed by, with only 25kn winds there at that time.

Now, the above locations are on the short list, with a likely get-out date in January. My plan is to have 3-4 aboard this time, instead of just two. Apart from a few things breaking and needing repair or replacement, all major systems on Linnupesa came through it all fine. What failed we managed to repair with spares and supplies that we had on board. All in all, I came back a pretty happy camper and look forward to spending the winter in some warmer climes now.

Again, the plan dates are pretty flexible, as are the destinations. Give a call if you are able to join up. 408 621-3558 We'd share the food costs and again will be anchoring out most of the time.

Ivo s/v Linnupesa

Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: san antonio

Hello! I was just wondering if you were considering inexperienced sailors. My brother, Sam (24), and I (22) are very limited in our sailing expertise but both in good shape and willing to do hard work and learn! We are flexible on dates and locations as well (I just graduated and he ends school in December). Personally, I want to go as far south as you will take us but as long as we get out on the open water I am not picky
Let us know we would love to join you. Right now we are in Texas but could easily make it out east.

Ann

Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Toronto

HI,
I saw your ad posting, looking for crew members. Do you still have any spaces available?
I am a 26 year old female from Toronto Canada, looking to explore and learn about sailing. I have no prior experience but I am a hard worker and willing to learn.
I have travelled for a year in Australia and am looking for a new adventure.
Thanks for your time and looking forward to hearing from you.
Stephanie
stephpileggi@hotmail.com
Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Commander

Wow, those were two quick replies and yes, there still is a completely open roster.

My thoughts on crew are that it would be nice to have people aboard that have at least a rough idea of what cruising is all about... or hiking or getting into but also getting out of trouble.

Noah came aboard with no sailing experience but didn't panic when he was suddenly swept downwind in the Avon in a rainy near-gale and without any oars. Pulpit Harbor it was, real funny too. Our anchor had been uprooted by a dragging boat and I had to maneuver and javelin the oars out to him from Linnu to get there via float-mail over shallow rocky water. 3am seems to make for all sorts of wonderful stories, doesn't it? But then, he'd done some rope courses, hiked and hitched, seen and done quite a bit for his 26 years. He must have been pretty scared at times but nevertheless came through it all OK, 43 days aboard.

Unlike the last trip along the US coast, it now will be not that easy to "get off the bus" as it will be different countries. You'd need to be able to show passports, possibly some vaccinations and some financial responsibility in case you had to bail out at any point. Habla espanol, un poquito? That would also help. Any other skills you can bring to the table?

In light of the above I'm first considering a little meandering stint down to the FL keys perhaps before going offshore. More so to ensure that we have a cohesive and capable crew that is able to work together... and capable to take care of the boat while others are doing shore trips. ( Linnupesa just hates being left alone! Boo-hoooh! It's halloween too! )

Ivo s/v Linnupesa
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Toronto

Sounds like you had a fun and exciting trip. I would love to be apart of an adventure like this and would be willing to learn some basics beforehand. The other replies sound eager as well. Would love to be able to crew with some other newbies close in age. Passport, vaccines and finance are not a problem and the further and longer the trip, the better. I have been trying to to get an opportunity like this for a long time and have wanted to learn everything I can about sailing. Its just hard without any experience. Im also just a quick and cheap flight to florida if needed for the preparation trip. Happy Halloween
Old 11-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: New Orleans

Hello,

I am interested and hablo espanish. I have limited sailing experience, though i have worked as a chef for the las couple of years and offer my practiced hand with pleasure and pride. My goals are to develop my sailing skills and abilities, while working my way down to sud america.

Give me a shout:
vamosarecrear@gmail.com

Cheers,
Brian
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Commander

Buenas noches Briano

habla espangleesh, si? Buen, vamos a recrear por otros mas preguntas. (gmail)

Ivo
Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: New Orleans

tranquiltio hombre, me das las preguntas
Old 11-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: SAVONA

Hello!!!

I'm Denny from Italy!

Actually I'm looking for a "lift" on a sailing boat for the Atlantic Crossing "Europe -> America" ... I still don't have any good news from boats but I'm really interested about a carribean experience on a "English speaker" sailing boat!

I'm totally free by now so I don't have any time problem until middle march 2013!
I'have some experience with sailing boat but only in mediterranean area , I spent 3 weeks last september doing the circumnavigation of Pelopponeso in greece!
I can't say that I'm a expert sailor but I may have an idea about cruising!
I also speak spanish!

I hope to have news from you!
Bye
Denny
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
Commander

Default Key West, Babahamas and SCUBA anyone?

Hi Denny

thanks for your response. I'll be on the boat later this month and in December, to get things ready. As you are quite a good distance away it perhaps is a bit early to make any fixed plans. With winter approaching I'm not sure if you already may have missed the boats crossing the Atlantic. Perhaps now an Airbus will have to take you across?

Probably best if you got to the US first for a meet-up here in Florida.

Ciau

Ivo

Tags
bahamas