Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-17-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to BobTheBoat

Hi Everyone.

I am a Canadian presently in Subic Bay, Philippines. For the last 7 months have lived on our boat in Hong Kong at Hebe Haven Yacht Club.(very nice there). The boat was new and we took delivery of it in HK. I have a Icom 802 with AT140 auto tuner installed in the boat. I connected a Pactor Modem to it and joined the sailmail. I was able to send and receive emails from Brunei some 800 miles away but never was able to reach Brunei Bay Radio using the microphone.During our crossing of the South China Sea to Subic Bay I sent and received emails along the way to get weather Fax and keep our contact persons upto date with our progress. All is good.Now that I am in Subic I still am able to send and receive emails but still have not talked to any one using the microphone. I have tried monitoring Cruiserlog's frequency(14.323.0) at 00:25 to 00:55 and I do not receive anyone talking ( I do receive other people talking on other frequencies).I have tried contacting using the mircophone and still no communication. As of yet I still have not been able to talk to anyone using the microphone. The boat besde me here has the same radio and his does the same thing as mine. There most be some programing that the radio need to make it work using the mic.Since the radio works using the Pactor Modem there can't be too much wrong with it and the boat beside has the same problem.(his radio is new too)

So two questions .Why can't I receive Cruiserlog's frequency at 00:25 to 00:55 and why can't I talk to people using my mic.The radio shows that I am tranmitting when I key the mic.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Just a guess as I am not familiar with the radio, but I would ensure that you are on AM for mode and not trying to transmit voice through the Pactor TNC... You may yet be in Data Mode while trying to receive and transmit on voice AM. Just because you are on frequency doesn't ensure you are in the correct mode. If all else fails check the manual.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Admiral

Hi,

1. The net you are referring on 14 Mhz in the 20 metre band at those times is the Mobile Maritime Net SEA which is temporarily down for maintenance. . (CruiserLog do not operate a radio net)

2. Without the radio and the manual in front of us, it is very difficult to determine why you cannot transmit and receive voice. It does sound like the radio has not been set up correctly for that purpose - check page 10 0f the manual. Another factor is propagation in terms of the sun spot and solar flux cycle at the times chosen means that the minimum usable frequencies are not available for most of South East Asia. What call sign are you using - I could have someone call you to test your transmissions ?

3. In the meantime go through these steps :- Click here
Old 04-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBoat View Post
Hi Everyone.

I am a Canadian presently in Subic Bay, Philippines.

Welcome aboard "Bobtheboat". Hope all comes right with your radio.

We hope to hear lots from you as you cruise around SE Asia.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi There

Thanks for the info but I have already done all the steps on page 10 in the manuel and done all the stuff on the Dockside radio site.

Question How do you know what mode to put the radio in Eg. AM , USB, LSB

When should the Martime Net be back working.

It would be great if someone could try to radio me .My call sign is cfn4734

Just give me a time and frequency My email is coulsonhillfarm@shaw.ca
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Admiral

Hello there,

Your Questions

#1. How do you know what mode to put the radio in Eg. AM , USB, LSB ?

Answer = USB = Upper Side Band (note from 7 MHZ upwards is USB and below 7 MHZ is Lower Side Band LS

#2. When should the Maritime Net be back working ?

When the Net Radio returns from the Techs in Singapore.

We won't use cfn4734 - for the tests, give us your first name and the boat's name.

I will send you an email , once I have arranged the time and frequencies with 3 different operators in different locations :- 1st near - NP2A in Subic; 2nd - 9M8 AM in Manila; 3rd KB6 VAT in Sabah Borneo .
Old 04-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi

My name is Rob And the boats name is "Bob The Boat"

Thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Ensign

I have an Icom 710, but I have known many cruisers with an 802. Many of them have had problems with the 802 "cutting out" while they are transmitting. In general you can hear them talking, but it sounds like they have an intermittent contact in the PTT switch. However, some radioheads concluded that the problem is in the transmitter and not in the mike. Icom tested some of these "faulty" radios and found no fault, and in general was insisting there was nothing wrong with the 802, but I found this note at http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicLat/200...ar19/Mar19.html so maybe there is now a fix:
Old 04-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Admiral

Thanks John,

Here is the "fix" from Icom :

" Knowledge Base Article 732B232987

Issue

M802 Audio Clipping

Resolution

For a while now, we have received isolated reports of audio “clipping” during transmit regarding the M802. The exact symptom is when the operator speaks with certain voice patterns, the receiving party may hear part of the word being cut out and then the transmission quickly comes back. The operator may hear a few more words and then the symptom would repeat.

After considerable research into this issue, Icom has identified that this occurs when the radio’s antenna system is generating an SWR of 1.6 or more.

Proper installation and maintenance of an antenna system may help reduce your SWR and if you have any questions about your antenna system, please consult a qualified marine electronics dealer.

But there are antenna situations where the SWR may be higher than 1.6 (depending on a number of factors).

Icom has developed an improvement that will make sure the radio will not “clip”, no matter the SWR.

If you would like to have this improvement installed in your equipment contact Icom’s service department [service@icomamerica.com] or 425-454-7619 for further information. Please be aware that this modification will help with the “clipping” issue only. If you have other issues, again, please consult a qualified marine electronics dealer. Please note that this improvement will be in all future M802’s from Icom.

Category

Marine : SSB : M802 ""

Tags
ssb