Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi All

Finally my finances, wife and life are all coming into alignment! I have sailed on and off pretty much all my adult life (we're both 40) and am now able to change from dreaming about going cruising to going cruising. The kids are nearly off our hands.

In anticipation of buying our boat in 2 years time, I have started studying for my Ocean Yachtmasters ticket and am looking for anyone based in WA who wants crew for up and down the coast so I can get my logged hours up.

We want to buy a steel Roberts 46 Mauritius (here's a fibreglass one that fits the bill http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale....aspx?R=6334316 ) so we can cruise up the WA coast to Darwin, then onto Indonesia where we will stay for 6 months or each year to surf, fish, dive, and explore. Then slip it in Bali, back to Perth for the summer 6 months for a bit of income generation, then back to Bali the following year and who knows what comes next, life is always on the move.

I run my own company so am pretty flexible about when I work. Of course I am willing to pay my way and will fly to the boat or back from the boat if needed.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello

Note that you are looking at a 46 FRP Roberts - assuming that it 2 years time you will have a similar choice - check that Ford engine - and of course you will need a good out of the water hull survey. Anyway, in the meantime as you are looking to crew, suggest you post your details in our 'Crew looking for positions forum'

Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi, thanks for the advice, I would prefer the same boat in steel. I see you like your multihulls, I sail as crew/helm on my friends Fontaine Pajot Lavezzi 40 fairly regularly, I love it, but I can't afford it.

Maybe sooner than 2 years
Old 11-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Tim - good to have you here with us. I hope that we will hear all about how your plans progress.

Make yourself at home, the VB's are on "Swagman" today.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks mate, I cruised your Wiki today, very impressive
Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Tim,

Take no notice of Lighthouse. We've run out. Go get a coldie from him:-)

Re getting time offshore. Why not drop into Freo Sailing Club and ask which offshore recer is seeking crew?

I know the trips will be limited most weekends to race days away - but they've got at least six races taking longer in the WA Offshore calendar.

Good luck

JOHN
Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks John

I'm meeting a guy by the name of Jack Baxter next week who is taking me through the Yachtmaster program. He's based out of Freo SC, I'm going to ask him to hook me up with a crew position if he can. (I believe if you don't ask you don't get)

We live 30 min south of Freo in a place called Secret Harbour, but love Feo and are moving back up that way next year as we both work out of the city and our daughter is in uni. Better for work, better for sailing. Yea I'd love to get into a Div A boat for the offshore series, I know they tend to be short handed by the time the winter series comes around, only for the hardy I believe, but that suits me fine.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Rear Admiral

Jack will sort you out. Say hello from me as we both served on the WA Offshore Racing Committee a decade back.

Incidentally Jack was also crew on at least one of the first Bondie Americas Cup challenges - and has an enviable local reputation racing off Albany where he was Commodore for a few years.

Skippers I'd suggest you try to get out with are Robbie Baker or Pete Joiner.

Good luck

JOHN.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
Ensign

Small world isn't it! Jack sounds like a top bloke, I'll give him your regards
Old 11-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Hi Tim,

I'm looking forward to getting the yacht home to WA but as you may know there is a severe shortage of pens about, even down in Bunbury where I live. I will keep Jamel at Port Geograph near Busselton for the time being.

really looking forward to trips up to Rottnest Is. ( Longreach Bay is a favourite of ours) and generally pottering about down in the SW.

Cheers, Alan

"Simply nothing like messing about in boats" - Ratty from Wind in the Willows
Old 11-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
Ensign

Hi Alan, if you need crew to sail, call me anytime on 0423 628 370, I'll drive down.

Tags
australia