Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Athene of Lymington

Home Port: Lymington
Vessel Name: Athene of Lymington

AN URGENT UPDATE:

We have just learned that from next year citizens of countries that require a 90-day tourist visa to enter Turkey (Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Hong Kong (Only BNO-British National Overseas passport holders), Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, UK and USA) will not be able to re-enter Turkey after the expiry of their visa for at least a further 90 days. This means e.g. that yachts can no longer cross to Greece and come back within 24 hours to obtain a new visa - they will have to stay out of Turkey for at least 90 days.

I will try to post information on the exact date this new rule comes in as soon as possible. Meanwhile, it is yet another example of the increasing bureaucracy that is sadly making Turkey a less and less attractive place for owners with the above passports to base a yacht.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thanks for posting the news. Let us know of any further developments please.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Unfortunately given current politics in the EU and with the new "conservative" government in Turkey it looks like this is going to go on for a while. They have annoyed Italy to the point that Italy is reviewing whether or not to support Turkeys entrance into the EU. So good luck and keep us posted please.

Michael
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Athene of Lymington

Latest update is that this new regulation came in on 14 July 2010. We were told, however, before leaving Turkey on 23 July that we would not be affected until 2011. This may be because we already had a valid visa on 14 July when the new regulations took affect. It would be wise therefore to assume that anyone taking out a 90-day visa after 14 July will not be able to renew it until the 181st day following issue.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Athene of Lymington

FURTHER UPDATE: the Turkish authorities have now decided to delay implementation of the visa changes (at least as far as British passport holders are concerned). See link below to a statement issued on 26 July by the British Embassy in Turkey.

http://ukinturkey.fco.gov.uk/en/help...s-who-overstay

This does not, of course, mean that the problem has gone away. It is clearly the intention of the Turkish immigration authorities to tighten up visa regulations at some point in the future.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Retired Mod

Thank you for keeping us updated - most appreciated.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Ensign

It has been reported that all the new visa rules have been put on hold

John Tully

Jupiter Moon
Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitermoon View Post

It has been reported that all the new visa rules have been put on hold

John Tully

Jupiter Moon
Turkish visas seem to be a money gathering exercise,

so with the current outcry, and empty Marinas, it looks a dead duck.

s/v Beowulf
summercruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 AM   #9
Ensign

We plan to return to our boat at Setur Marina, Kusadasi, Turkey, April 22. We will obtain a 90-day visa on arrival. Shortly thereafter we had planned to sail to Samos, Greece, and clear into Greece, then sail south eventually ending this voyage at Marmaris where we would need a new Turkish visa. All this within 60 days. According to Atheneoflymington that doesn't seem possible. Comments anyone?

Thanks,

Doug and Mary Coleman
Old 04-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #10
Ensign

Is the Turkish 90 day visa Multientry? If everything, from entering and receiving visa, sailing out of turkish waters and then re-entering turkish waters is all WITHIN the first 90 day visa period, I'm not sure you would need a new second visa on re-entry, just a re-franking of the old visa with a new entry date stamp beside the exit stamp.

Say you arrive in Turkey, get the 90 day visa, spend 30 days cruising the coast and exit further up the coast to head over to greece where you spend 30 days floatign around the Agean, then arrive back in Turkish waters on the 60th day. Since the turkish visa is 90 days, I would expect that you would be permitted to remain in turkish waters for a further 30 days to bring the 90 day period of the visa to a close, at the end of which you would be required to exit turkish waters for 90 days before recieving a new 90 day visa.

That is how most Shengen (sp) zone euro multi entry visas work. You may have a higher charge on getting the visa in the first place for a multientry over a single entry visa, but it may be worth it.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #11
Ensign

SCUBAKiwi,

Thanks for your notes. I've given thought to departing Turkey for Greece (just 15 miles) without clearing out of Turkey. Then after clearing in at Samos, Greece, we'd have paper for both countries.

I'll discuss with locals when I arrive in Kusadasi.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayanaDoug View Post

I've given thought to departing Turkey for Greece (just 15 miles) without clearing out of Turkey. Then after clearing in at Samos, Greece, we'd have paper for both countries.

I'll discuss with locals when I arrive in Kusadasi.
I have been doing this for many years now. But I have an EU passport (Greek) which does not need any stamps in Greece and no visas in Turkey. Samos is my boats home port. I hope to be there by late May. If you need any help then please contact me.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #13
Ensign

Istioploos,

Many thanks. We'll look for "Thetis" at Samos Marina; we expect to arrive there on or about April 27 so may miss you.

Doug
Old 06-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
Athene of Lymington

Sorry to be so late catching up with this thread. You will probably know by now (and for the benefit of other readers) that the Turkish visitor's visa is multi-entry: you don't need to obtain a new one if you re-enter within the 90 days. Also, there is still no date for the introduction of the new restrictions on re-entry, so you can currently still leave and re-enter Turkey on the expiry of the 90 days and simply buy another 90 day visa. Don't think for a second about overstaying, though. The penalties are savage even for staying just one day over the 90.

However, a lot of yachts actually don't formally clear in and out of Greece or Turkey but simply run two transit logs at the same time, presenting the Greek one when in Greece and the Turkish one in Turkey. You don't have to surrender the Greek transit log (thekpa) even if you formally clear out of Greece, but you do have to surrender the Turkish one if clearing out of Turkey and purchase a new one when you return - which is why a lot of yachts 'zig-zag' between Turkey and the Greek islands without going through the formalities. One just needs to be a convincing liar if challenged and always remember to switch over the courtesy ensign well in advance.

In our experience, you're never asked for passports in either country unless formally clearing in or out.

As to whether we condone this illegal practice, I couldn't possibly comment ...
Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneoflymington View Post
Thanks for the update.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
Ensign

Home Port: Cheshire
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneoflymington View Post
AN URGENT UPDATE:

We have just learned that from next year citizens of countries that require a 90-day tourist visa to enter Turkey (Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Hong Kong (Only BNO-British National Overseas passport holders), Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, UK and USA) will not be able to re-enter Turkey after the expiry of their visa for at least a further 90 days. This means e.g. that yachts can no longer cross to Greece and come back within 24 hours to obtain a new visa - they will have to stay out of Turkey for at least 90 days.

I will try to post information on the exact date this new rule comes in as soon as possible. Meanwhile, it is yet another example of the increasing bureaucracy that is sadly making Turkey a less and less attractive place for owners with the above passports to base a yacht.

UPDATE 1 FEB 2012

FROM BRITISH EMBSSY WEBSITE

Changes to Tourist Visas for British Nationals

Since 2010, Turkish visit visas issued at arrival ports state that they are valid for multiple stays up to a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period.

Up to 31 January 2012, this rule has not been enforced by the Turkish immigration authorities, who were operating a flexible interpretation of the requirement.

However, from 1 February 2012, the new visa rules will be fully enforced, and you will only be able to stay in Turkey for a total of 90 days in every 180. We had approached the Turkish Authorities to see if this implementation date could be delayed but unfortunately, it could not.

If you plan to remain in Turkey for a period of more than 90 days after 1February, you should either enquire about longer stay visas from your nearest Turkish Embassy before departure, or if in Turkey, you should enquire at your local Foreigners Police Department (Yabancilar Sube) before 90 days expires. If you stay in Turkey for long periods of time, it may be worth considering obtaining a residence permit.

Be careful not to overstay the 90 day period. Overstaying is taken very seriously by the Turkish Authorities. As is current practice, those who overstay the 90 day limit could be fined, detained, deported and banned from re-entering Turkey.

Apparently there has to be a 1 day gap between the start of a new 90 day in 180 days visa.

Would seem to create problems for long term cruisers.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Thank you Gordon for the update. I am used to go in out of Turkey.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turkey, visa