Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Ensign

I'm a newbie to this site, so I'm just testing my signature and avatar. My apologies for the intrusion.

By the way, for what it's worth, Bob asked me to put some info into the Bermuda section of the Wiki, which I've done. I may have more to add somewhere else, but there's a reasonable amount of new info there now, several helpful links, etc. If anyone has any comments, let me know.

Regards, and happy to be aboard,

www.bermudacruisingrally.com
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Daniel. Good to have you here and we all thank you for your contributions on the Bermuda Section of the Cruising Wiki - it is fast becoming a very useful section.

Tell us more here about the cruiser's rally to Bermuda that you are planning.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Bob. It's always great to find new boards and sites. Of course, my partners won't be happy to learn that I have yet another excuse to do anything but work during the day.

In terms of the rally, I've teamed up with Tania Aebi to do this (of "Maiden Voyage" fame). We'll have all the usual benefits of rallies (travel in company, comaraderie, weather/gulfstream routing, etc.), plus we have a few additional things that other rallies don't. First off of course is Tania. Where else can you have someone of her stature get you ready personally for a trip? Likewise, we're limiting participation to 8 boats, for this year anyway, because it's our first year and we want to keep it small. Plus, with a smaller group we can ensure that everyone gets individual and personalized attention.

We're going to use today's technology, and hand out satellite phones and Internet tracking devices. With respect to the phones, we're going to have twice daily calls to monitor positions, progress, give assistance, just share experiences, etc. On these calls we'll also have daily updated and personalized weather and Gulfstream routing by Jenifer & Dane Clark (very well respected routers up and down the US east coast). The Clarks also will be at the start in person to give briefings and information. As for the Internet tracking devices, friends and family back home will be able to track your progress on the Internet, with positions updating hourly.

Something we're doing that I don't think any other rally has done is to give an all-inclusive price, including dockage both in NY and Bermuda, the satphones, the whole thing. The only exception is satellite phone usage charges (just because there's no way to come up with a price, considering that usage could vary wildly). And of course, we're starting from New York Harbor, a pretty breathtaking spot.

The website is www.bermudacruisingrally.com. There is a wealth of information about the event on the site, and the FAQ section in particular has lots of details. Our contact information is on the site too of course, but people should feel free to email me (dan@bermudacruisingrally.com) or call (914-714-0661). The trip leaves NY on Sunday, June 15 (weather permitting), and we are asking boats to arrive in NY Friday night or Saturday morning for briefings, inspections and parties. If people want to participate but starting out from NY is a problem, we have a few ways to work through that, so don't let it be a deterrant. We also have a crew registry, so if you want to do it but are having difficulty drumming up crew, we can help with that also.

Just a final thought so people know. I'm not in the marine industry. I'm simply a sailing enthusiast, like many frequenters here I'm sure. I myself was looking to do a rally, learned there are none (Steve Black cancelled his Bermuda Cup), so it seemed to me that there is a hole in the sailing community. I then reached out to Tania, and here we are. A Bermuda trip from the U.S. east coast is a great event. Far enough and bluewater enough so that it's an adventure and an accomplishment, but close and "safe" enough that it's not as all-consuming as a full blown ocean crossing. Anyway, we now are the only cruising rally to Bermuda, so if you want to do it or even are just thinking about it, reach out to us.

Thanks so much for giving us some air time here. We think this will be a great and very fun event, both for experienced voyagers and those just looking to stretch their legs.

Best regards,

www.bermudacruisingrally.com
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thanks for all the information - we will all be keeping an eye on this inaugural event. Keep us updated on any further news please.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bermuda