Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Scarborough
Default Crew wanted Cairns to SE Asia

Looking for crew to join a cruise from Cairns to SE Asia. Departure in December probably. Sailing catamaran. Some sailing exposure and certification for diving highly regarded.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

At the start of cyclone season? Really?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Ensign

your point being?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

To date, I have spent 25 years sailing out of Darwin on the north Australian coast and would be very concerned about taking my boat north to the equator any time between late October and late March.

The cyclone season affects the waters between north Queensland and north west WA, with an average 13 cyclones developing each season. The effects of TRS' are compounded along the north coast due to the relative shallow waters of the Arafura sea. Wind opposing waves and currents build short, sharp, high seas very quickly and, once north of Bathurst Island and into the southern reaches of the Indonesian Archipeligo, small islands and reefs become a particular hazard if one is trying to skirt, battle or run from a TRS, or even a moderate monsoonal low pressure system.

Once the NW monsoon is established over northern Australia, the trip westward from Cape York, across the Gulf of Carpentaria is exceedingly tough. After the Wessel Islands, threading through the islands to Darwin (particularly Dundas and Clarence straits), where the flow hits 6 knots as the tidal range approaches 8 metres, along with the NW monsoon influence, is fraught with potential danger. And most of the trip from Booby Island west, is a beat.

Most voyaging boats await the passage of the 'wet' season before cruising the north coast and on to SE Asia, or across the Indian ocean. In the 'dry' it is a wonderful southeasterly tradewinds sail; in the 'wet' it's a real, fair dinkum, uphill bugger!

Best wishes and good luck.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks Aussee, i agree with your comments totally. In fact our plan, if we leave Cairns, is to cruise to Samarai thence to New Britain/ Kaviang, Palau thence to Philippines. Weather permitting. Once we are north of 10 S i expect the threat of running into a TRS wil be greatly diminished. Then once in the northern hemisphere it will be NE monsoon and relatively fine for cruising. Well, thats plan and yes, i realise it will be 'tropical' in PNG. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Sounds like a good plan. I ran up the west coast of the Phils, to Taiwan then Japland a couple of years back. Had a little work done on the boat in Subic. The Davao coast along your route has a bit of an 'antisocial' rep.

Anyway keep us posted on your progress. As most cruisers go via Darwin, I am sure there will be many who will be interested in hearing how your trip via this alternate route goes.
Cheers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Anyway keep us posted on your progress. As most cruisers go via Darwin

Its a doddle - head from Cairns to the Lousiades, explore and enjoy before heading north to Woodlark Island and then up through but keep away from the mainland. Some friends of ours were boarded in Madang and another couple we know attacked further up the coast.

Stock up on gear though as there is very little to be had re fuel and supplies in the Louisiades apart from Misma. Take heaps of books, pens, clothes fishing gear and tools to give away or trade as the islanders in the Louisiades have nothing.

If you're leaving from Cairns drop by and we'll give you some goods to take for the islanders. If you go the other way and head for Borneo - drop by as well and you can carry our two sea kayaks, dive gear and a heap of yacht parts for our yacht in Kota Kinabalu! Trying to smuggle a kayak and fridge units onto a flight from Cairns to KK as hand luggage is a bugger!

Fair winds,

Mico/Australis
Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Roskilde
Default Still need some crew???

Hey

If youre still looking for a crewmember im an easygoing dane, 6"4 (hence "Tiny" ), 27 years, started sailing squarerigged viking replicas from i was 18, have done a lot of nature-navigation (ie no compass, no gps, but loads of fun ), and seen a fair bit of the north sea in its less than pretty states. So, anyways last year i got fed up with everything, got my yachtmaster and went 4 months on a 64" Bruce in the Carib - in the hurricane season btw. Ended up in Cape York (long story!) where i am at the moment.. And dying to get away from! Im not a rookie, but maybe a bit rusty, and if we got safety reasonably covered, i can leave with less than a weeks warning.
Call, or even better text, me at 04 7746 4287 or write at jemilo22@gmail.com and we can talk more
Cheers
Tiny
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
Outstanding crew!!!

Home Port: Auckland
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcontxtxp

Please read this message carefully and*attentively... I trust your response.

I am very interested in buying a boat OR buying into a boat "partnership"...*I have good experience sailing because I lived for 22 year in Miami Beach USA making Key Biscayne and the Atlantic Ocean my playground sailing on a Colgate 26, power boating, fishing*and diving. I also participated in few regattas in Key Biscayne competing in a small 4-crew sailing boat wining one competition.

I NEED/WANT to live in a boat for the next year or two in order to acquire the*experience necessary to become a true sailor and be able to sail the world...*I am ready to do*ALL tasks from the*smallest*to the biggest; any boat duties*to quickly learn and master all tasks needed for sailing.*

I am well fit, well-mannered,*extremely positive, easy going individual with a ken common sense; moreover*I am a highly educated individual...*I fluently speak write and read in Russian, Spanish, English and Portuguese with Basic in Italian and French. I am also a Pilot for single engine airplane, a NAUI Scuba Diver with Survival skills in the Forests, Deserts, Mountains and Waters.

Awaiting for your reply...
Karlos Falcon

Phone +64-027-922-2129
E-mail**Falcontxtxp@gmail.com

Tags
asia, cairns, crew wanted