Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Lieutenant

I am trying to plan this voyage but my planning charts (the ones that give details of weather, waves, etc each month for North Pacifc, South Pacific, Atlantic and Indean Oceans) are on the yacht and I am not, until next month.

Does anyone who has cruised this area have any advice about route and timing ? We want to include Galapagos, Mexico, Hawaii and as many of the small island groups as possible. Panama transit May, to get out before the hurricane season.

I remember seeing the above mentioned planning charts on the www somewhere, but stupidly did not make a note of the location. Anyone know where ?

Thank you

John

Pathfinder

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Admiral

http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/maritime/?e...ec24fd73927a759

and use the pull-down menu to find what you want.

You're a bit late for this season, I think. Hawaii was last year, November to now. Mexico hurricane season starts in June, and you aren't going to get there until after that with a May transit of the Panama Canal. No hurricanes in Panama or the Southeast Pacific.

You should be heading south to enter the S. Pacific about May or June. You can't get to the Galapagos from Hawaii, and to go up to Hawaii from the Galapagos and then down means you are again bumping up against the seasons the wrong way.

I have heard few if any favorable comments about cruising Hawaii, so perhaps you might want to give it a pass anyway.

Lots of cruising guides to the S. Pacific, and we've seen a lot, our cruising logs will give you some ideas though we headed to Easter Island first.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thank you Jeanne. It is early rough planning - we are still in the Med at present, about to cruise Greece.

John

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new zealand, panama