Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

I've got a short article about Langkawi, Malaysia on my web site for anyone who might be interested.

Cuising guide to Lankawi, Malaysia - post tsunami update

In summary, the island has rebuilt all the tsunami damaged marina's and is back better than ever before.

dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Thanks very much for the info Dave. The speed of the rebuild has been a real benefit to the locals I imagine. I have a few mates who have been based in Rebak since before the tsunami, and it is a great credit to the cruising community, that so many cruising people put their lives on hold to assist locals in every way they possibly could.

Perhaps I should consider painting my boat there, instead of in Subic Bay.

Thanks again.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

That is great news.

Amongst other reports of potential danger and bad experiences, it is most refreshing to hear of disaster recovery, rebuilding and improvements, and reports about what to expect in nice places to visit.

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor_Pilot View Post
That is great news.

Amongst other reports of potential danger and bad experiences, it is most refreshing to hear of disaster recovery, rebuilding and improvements, and reports about what to expect in nice places to visit.
As You mention 'potential danger' Ive been living here since we arrived 1,5 year ago, still got my boat. All marinas (Langkawi Yacht club, Telaga Harbor, Rebak Marina, Hole-in-the wall) are back in business. There have been quite some comments around about risks of termites at Reback, so be careful.

Anyone needs help in Langkawi or other info about Malaysia, welcome to take contact.

Google: HAFFIMAN.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Ensign

Okay, I'm panicking now. My boat is on the hard at Rebak while I work in Bangkok. I can see them eating my boat down to bare hull. Not going to sleep tonight.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiver View Post
Okay, I'm panicking now. My boat is on the hard at Rebak while I work in Bangkok. I can see them eating my boat down to bare hull. Not going to sleep tonight.
If you are quivering , a phone call to the yard can organise a "shell driteing" of your boat.

By the way, the update of the update on Langkawi , also has a Marina in the "Hole In The Wall" which I hope people do not believe enough to go there, only to find that there is no such thing as a marina in the Hole In The Wall. There is a good anchorage where yachts are often parked whilst the owners are somewhere else. An anchorage is not a marina.

For those intrepid yachties who don't know of this anchorage, here are the coordinates to the entrance :- 06degs 25.6' North x 99degs 52.1' East - varying depths. Choose a spot to anchor in the main channel or in the first channel to the right where Rahmad operates a fish farm, restaurant and yacht storage business. Do not NOT proceed much beyond the fish farm as there is a very solid line across the channel just under the water.

This is a wonderful area to explore in your dinghy. Ask Rahmad for directions through the waterways to come out on the Tanjung Rhu beach. Or take the dinghy up the main channel to the large jetty, From there it possible to get into Kuah town via the main rd.

Sorry to be such a nay sayer - nevertheless it would be nice to have another marina on the west coast of the northern part of the Malay peninsula, besides the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club, Rebak Marina, Telaga Harbour Marina and the small marina at Awana Porto Malai. Not to forget

The Wave Master Langkawi Yacht Centre for the very big stuff - who also have lift out and full repair facilites.

Again, at the time of writing there is no marina in the Hole In The Wall.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
Ensign

It was too late to call when I posted, and no, I did not sleep, but I have a call in to their office and am awaiting a response. Curious to learn what shell driteing is, and I apologise if I am belabouring some sort of mistype, since I am the last person who should critique mistyping or misspeaking.

Just a note, WaveMaster is not only for the big stuff. Friends have used their facilities and had good things to say -- you can't, or couldn't, stay overnight on site, but it's very nice if you have major work to do and don't want to live on the boat. It's also convenient. Scheduling around the Rebak ferry can wear pretty thin after a while if you have to spend a lot of time in Kuah.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiver View Post
It was too late to call when I posted, and no, I did not sleep, but I have a call in to their office and am awaiting a response. Curious to learn what shell driteing is, and I apologise if I am belabouring some sort of mistype, since I am the last person who should critique mistyping or misspeaking.

Just a note, WaveMaster is not only for the big stuff. Friends have used their facilities and had good things to say -- you can't, or couldn't, stay overnight on site, but it's very nice if you have major work to do and don't want to live on the boat. It's also convenient. Scheduling around the Rebak ferry can wear pretty thin after a while if you have to spend a lot of time in Kuah.
------------------------------------------------0--------------------------------------------

Hello Quiver ,

The spelling of Shell Drite was an attempt at the phonetic translation of the Thai Product of that name which is used for termites (white ants) - a visit to your nearest hardware should reveal the correct product . There are three types (or more ) :-

1) aerosol with thin hollow steel tube for inserting in cracks/holes etc. Has a residual effect for about 2 weeks +. Brands: Chaindrite , Shieldtox, Arsmite et on.

2) the other form used for industrial/commercial applications is supplied in cans (litre min) this

is applied with a brush. This product has a residual effect of about 6 months. Brands:

Chaindrite, Shieldrite :-- combination of Cypermethrin and

-chlorophenyl-3-lodopropargyl formal

3) A residual powder to prevent White ants taking up house : Aswin Powder = Bendiocarb 1%

A good powder to disperse in under floors in bilges - cupboards - lockers- lazerettes etc

Read :- http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/bendioca.htm

Handling : use gloves - wash hands after application. When returning to the boat wash it

down to remove residue, dry. reapply if leaving the boat for any period.

It is also quite easy to fumigate a boat (because of the relatively small volume coupled with the ability to close all apertures during the process) You should be able to source fumigation bombs.

THe beginning of the South West Monsoon rains is the worst time for the swarms of flying ants,

(white ants with wings - who set off to start new colonies)

If you need assistance to get someone to go to Rebak to check/treat your boat - send me a personal message.

Thank you for confirming that Wave Master also looks after yachts that are not big stuff.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffiman37 View Post
As You mention 'potential danger'........

Google: HAFFIMAN.
For clarification, I was not only refering to Langkawi. I meant it is good to hear good news in general, amongst the normal bad news that makes the headlines here and in the media. DNelson had just reported a bad experinace he had in another location, which was countered by this good report.

haffiman37, your offer is very kind. Thank you.

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malaysia