Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-04-2015, 07:25 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: London
Default Must get to Australia!

Hi,
I need to get to Australia in the next two months to avoid being stuck in India with no visa and no money. Anyone looking for crew? I can work in Australia as I have the right visa, but cannot make enough money here for a plane ticket, especially with the season in Goa coming to a close.
Can anyone give me any advice on what route to take? For example is it possible to go direct, maybe from Chennai, or would I have to get to Indonesia/Malaysia first?
Maybe there are some commercial/leisure routes from Kochi in the south?
Although I have very little sailing experience, I am no stranger to physical labour and am willing to work hard for passage in whatever tasks I can manage. I can also cook and am a musician with my instrument so can play my way too (although will happily refrain from playing if that was preferred)!
Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated and remembered.
Thanks so much,
Arthur
(You can email me on arthur.randle@googlemail.com)
Thanks again!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

G'day Arthur, It's a tough ask to hitch a ride between anywhere in India and Australia at this time of the year. The major problem for sailing boats is, it's uphill all the way. Traditionally sailing boats advance around the world from east to west, because generally that is the way of the prevailing winds in the warmer latitudes.

The old clipper route took ships from India to Oz via the roaring forties, but that as an option on a small sailboat, is just plain lunatic. The best bet would be to aim for South East Asia. There is a variety of events staged from Darwin up through Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia. Generally they set off mid year and will return through August and early September before the monsoon season commences.

Finding passage from the sub continent on a freighter or container ship is rarely possible, unless you are Philippino or a certified mariner, but every avenue is worth checking out. Google merchant crewing opportunities.

I think in essence, you are going to have to go either by air or across land. By air is cheaper. Single tickets from Kochi to Bangkok can be bought for about US$200. Accommodation in Bangkok can be bought for as little as US$3 per night. Good street food less than US$1 per meal.

However, find as many cruising yacht clubs online as you can and you never know, you may pick up a ride. BUT...(There is always one), it will probably cost you more to sail on a small recreational yacht than it will to fly. You won't be paid, you will be expected to pull your weight and you will need to pay an equal share of the costs of provisioning.

Goa to Darwin is about 5000 miles and, considering it's not an easy route to sail it would be difficult to average much more than one hundred miles per day. So a minimum of fifty days at even $10 per day( and that would be difficult to sustain) is $500. Add to that expenses onshore in Sri Lanka and along the Indonesian archipelago and you probably won't do it for less than $1000.

This is all a little negative I know, but it is the reality and, if you could pick up an Indian Ocean crossing for $1000 it would be money well spent.

Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks so much for the advice, I'm working on it, and WILL get there!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Also keep in mind that most countries won't allow entry to someone who has no cash and no visible means of support. Might be time to work for a while.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
Ensign

What do you think I intend to do with a working visa in Australia?
And how do you think I've been supporting myself until now? By working! There are other ways to live without so much security. Besides, you underestimate my ability to get to where I want to go...
Old 03-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

It would seem that your better bet is to book the airfare home to AU, pick up that job you need and after you've saved a bit of cash, hop on to a cruising yacht going the more likely direction back to the north and catch your sailing experiences that way.

Best of luck in finding your flight down to AU and getting your pockets full again so you can continue your travels!

And regarding not having money for the ticket home--that's what friends are for: helping you with the money. A cruising yacht is going to charge you for your share of the provisions b/c they're not typically in a situation to support extra people. If a cruising yacht is taking a tough passage like that, the last thing they typically want to take on is someone with no money, no friends/references, and insufficient sailing skills. Nowhere do you mention real sailing skills so its presumed that you don't have any. So I wish you the best of luck in calling on your friends and family for a loan of a couple hundred dollars to get you to working in AU.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Ensign

Thanks for the advice mate, I really appreciate it. I've managed to get a friend back home in the UK to sell one of my guitars, that and a few more gigs before leaving and I should be dandy.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
It would seem that your better bet is to book the airfare home to AU
Bo, Check the location. He's a British citizen, not Aussie.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPanhandle View Post
What do you think I intend to do with a working visa in Australia?
And how do you think I've been supporting myself until now? By working! There are other ways to live without so much security. Besides, you underestimate my ability to get to where I want to go...
Chillax, I wasn't implying anything sinister. And having been a muso in my younger years I know all about alternative lifestyles.

If you're under 31yo and have a Working Holiday visa it should be easy enough, but you'll still have to support yourself until you find work. I'd just hate to see you make the effort to get all the way down here and be rejected for something this simple.

Glad to hear you've raised some more cash, might also be advisable to check with Australian Immigration about their minimum requirements for available funds on hand at entry. Having a place to stay organized before arrival will also help if you can manage it.

Good luck, and enjoy your stay here!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
Admiral

Here's some more data from the web:

Ref: Working Holiday Visas Frequently Asked Questions - Australian Visa Bureau

Q: What are the financial requirements of the Working Holiday Visa?
A: You need to have access to sufficient funds to support yourself at least for the initial stage of your holiday in Australia; you may be asked to show evidence of this on arrival to satisfy immigration officials.
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) regard a sufficient amount as being a minimum of AUD$5,000, although the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and how much travelling you intend to do. You should also have either a return or onward ticket, or at least the funds for a fare to depart Australia if travelling on a one way ticket.
Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

---

Note that it's fairly similar to the rules for entry to the UK, we're not being bastards or anything here.

Tags
australia