Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default EPIRBs - why hazardous ? - nonUSA/EU source

As the EPIRB on board Pathfinder when I bought her is out of date (battery renewal 1998)and not registered, I am looking into a source of batteries or new EPIRBs

It is a Litton, they are no longer made or supported. The battery is a Panasonic LiCnF type

Locally, EPIRBs are twice the West catalogue price and I hate to be ripped off. West say they cannot send me one as they are classified as HAZARDOUS.

Can anyone help or advise ?

Does anyone know which idiot made it so difficult to get a really useful safety device.

I have already been charged nearly as much for a replacement lifejacket cartridge and trigger as the West price for a new complete lifejacket, here in Phuket, on the basis that they are HAZARDOUS.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Even 'hazardous' goods can be shipped - it just usually costs a bit more.

Why not ask West Marine to secure a quote for shipping hazardous cargo?

Cheers

JOHN

Old 11-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Well, that's odd - mine is "Air Transportable"!! Its a bit like this stupid co2 cartridge/pfd rule: How many of those do you think are on the average passenger plane...One per Seat at least perhaps....? Tony
Old 11-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Admiral

If it's not a 406 EPIRB you're better off buying a new one anyway. Did you try Marintech Marketing, Jessie Lee, 101 Kitchener Rd, marintech@pacific.net.sg? She does a good job of bringing in just about anything you might need.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:28 AM   #5
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

You might also try Steve Bradley at Precision Shipwright Services in Boat Lagoon. He and his dad can get just about anything imported into Phuket, or Langkawi.
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #6
Lieutenant

All of the older types of EPIRB are going to become obsolete during 2008. Basically, the frquencies that they broadcast will no longer be monitored. So, as mentioned above, it will be 406 EPIRBs only. For reasons of pure commercial greed, all EPIRB manufacturers charge complete rip-off prices for replacement batterys, because they would rather that you bought a new EPIRB than a new battery for an old EPIRB (imagine applying the same logic to other battery driven equipment!). Nevertheless, it would probably be best to consider buying a new 406 EPIRB rather than replacing the battery on an old soon to be obsolete one.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
Admiral

Whilst on the subject of air transport (and in response to bvimatelot) you all may wish to know that I flew Copenhagen - Frankfurt - Sanaa - Aden about a week ago with no less than three inflatible pfd:s. Security in Frankfurt picked it up but said it was ok.

Prior to fying I had called Scandinavian Airlines who said no to more than one 33 gr. cartiridge was permitted. Even though I carefully explained that CO2 cartridges present no danger (and that the planes were full of them anyway)the answer was still no. I therefore decided just to go ahead and fly with all three pfd:s anyway.

Interestingly, standing beside me in the next check-in line at Copenhagen was a lady of about 60 with permed 'blue' hair etc. etc. An obviuos user of hair spray and other such chemicals. Ever tried setting fire to the stuff coming out of a hairspray bottle? It is like a flame thrower - but do airlines stop ladies (or men) from taking such sprays aboard? Nope!

Companies selling EPIRBS may be ripping us off as they try to sell new equippment rather than replacement batteries but I suggest that the air transport industry is the biggest rip off. Question is, what can we do about it?

All the best

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #8
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Nausikaa

Companies selling EPIRBS may be ripping us off as they try to sell new equippment rather than replacement batteries but I suggest that the air transport industry is the biggest rip off. Question is, what can we do about it?
But You are doing something about it. Sailing from place to place instead of flying. (and airline companies will continue to treat all thier customers like criminals.)

BTW the IATA specifically allows you to carry a PFD with up to a 38gm CO2 cartridge and one spare C02 cartridge in your checked in luggage. All the airlines are supposed to follow the IATA agreements but there are exceptions...
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Weyalan

all EPIRB manufacturers charge complete rip-off prices for replacement batterys, because they would rather that you bought a new EPIRB than a new battery for an old EPIRB (imagine applying the same logic to other battery driven equipment!).
Bought a new battery for a drill driver lately? Virtually cheaper to buy a new drill with charger and two batteries than to buy two new batteries. The entire replacement battery system on portable stuff is a rip off.

Tags
usa