Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Fukui
Default Boat wanted: Japan to Alaska in June

Hi everyone!

My name is Nicolas, 35, originally from France. However, I do consider myself as a citizen of the world, which is probably due to the fact that I lived 6 years in 7 different countries out of the last 10 years.

In September 2012, I decided to quit my "normal" life and to embark on an overland journey around the world. Long story cut short, I had been working in established institutions for a while, mostly as an English teacher, PE and astronomy teacher, and professional basketball coach, and I had grown tired of the obsolescence of the system I was living in.
I wanted to contribute to a better world by doing something different since I already had a substantial travelling experience.

Consequently, I have been travelling around the globe for the last 2 years and a half, mainly hitchhiking, camping and couchsurfing along the way, almost with no money at all (I closed my bank account) apart from the overland border crossings and visas. I am also a photographer and writing a book about this stunning geographical and human experience.

I arrived in Japan in September 2014, where I have been living and teaching English in Fukui (a small city located on the Japan Sea side, roughly 300 km to the North West of Tokyo) for the last 4 months (I am a certified Cambridge teacher and do teach English at times when I really need money to keep going on my voyage), after spending some time in the remoteness of Shikoku Island and Okayama prefecture last year.

I was wondering if you would accept me as part of your crew. It is truly difficult for me to verbalize how much I would love to sail to Alaska.
I know some basic sailing skills for I used to work in a sailing school for kids a few years ago over summertime in Southern France. Also, I spent 2 months at sea and worked as a fisherman when I was living in New Zealand 9 years ago.
I would not label myself as an experience sailor, but I do know the sea and the elements, and am just a nature lover by definition...simply because this is where I feel Complete. I also know what it takes to work hard.
For instance, I trekked more than 3000 km independently so far in a dozen of countries, including 500 km in the gorgeous Himalayas (I lived in Nepal for 1 year).

In fact, I would love to gain more sailing skills and experience in order to buy my own boat someday and to roam around the world as some of you do...if it is ever part of the Grand Scheme of the Universe.
Furthermore, I can cook and am a quick learner, hard-worker, physically fit and trustworthy individual, so I guess I can help you with pretty much anything you might need me to do aboard.
As of the timing; I have to work until the end of May and will therefore be ready to set off around mid June anywhere in Japan (I am relatively flexible until the end of June or early July), time to get organized a little afterwards.

Thank you so much for reading me. I truly look forward to hearing back from you and I hope you will be able to help me achieve my dream to sail across the Pacific. Even if you cannot take me aboard with you, please let me know if you know anyone who is planning to do the crossing this summer.
Please do not hesitate to ask me for more information and here is the link of my website if you ever feel like having a look at it:

Doors Â*Of Â* The Â*UniverseNicolas Genna's Â* Â*Blog Â* & Â*Photography - Welcome
My facebook page: Teacher on the Road
Email: nicogenna@hotmail.com

Safe travels,

Nico
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0169.jpg  

Old 06-16-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: colorado
Default Not Japan, but close

Hi Nicolas:

I'm looking for crew to Seattle from PV within the next 2 weeks
Can negotiate Airfaire... as will get to Seattle by July 15
Hoping Seattle is a little closer than where you are now.

Sam

Tags
boat