Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Does anyone Broker "project" boats?

HI Guys, I've come to the fork in the road that has me swallowing the anchor.

My family has collected in Redding California and I am going to join them. I am selling my Tartan 37

Tartan 37c for sale - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

It has been advertised on craigslist and other places (I wouldn't advise listing with the people who called and offer to advertise online in many places til the boat is sold) PM me and I'll name the one I wasted $300 with!

The plan is to buy a used motor home, gather all my tools and toys and pack up and roll out to the west coast.

To make things more exciting, the wonderful place I have docked for the last 4 years is sold and closing towards the end of July and I have to be gone from there. I'd love to get her sold, but people do not want a project and I haven't even gotten any real offers.

I turned the ebay buy it now to a reserve auction.....

I am going move into a yet to be bought -motor home before I need to be off the dock.

I would be glad to list this boat with a broker or gladly pay a $500 finder's fee to anyone who brings a successful buyer.

any ideas appreciated. I am located in Miami FL. Larry

Old 06-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Selling a boat is always tough and the sheer variety of craft available for sale between Key West and Boca Raton is astounding. The problem in keeping a boat in these placs is the cost of a slip. For a 37'er, $10 per foot per month is about average in Lauderdale.

I recently dinghied around the canals near Lighthouse Point. The number of boats for sale is high and the condition of many is approaching derelict. I guess they have been for sale and unattended for a long time.

I think, if I were trying to sell in the area, I would consider moving to the west coast (through Okeechobee). Slips are less expensive and the competition at the lower end of the market is not so oppressive. Or, try to appeal to potential live-aboards in Key West.

Local brokers in Florida want 10%. I actually think brokers do a reasonable job providing they have something to work with. The boat should be cleaned out of all unnecessary gear, cleaned and polished and be looking as ship shape as possible...and it must not smell. I would list with a broker if I were in your place, if the eBay auction fails.

Either way I wish you luck.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks Auzzee, all good info and advise. As soon as I get the RV nailed I will move out and make her empty and presentable. By my dock departure date (July 25th) If she's still mine, I'll have to make arrangements and if a 10% commission included docking her while she was being shown, I guess I'd be willing.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Got a great RV, am going to be able to park it in the driveway where I am docked for a few days which will make moving off the boat quite efficient! Things are working well at present :-)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Default RV is like a boat

I start exploring the RV and find that the rear window had leaked on the queen bed. Under that bed is the fresh water tank and much of the plumbing including the drain system. Whoever installed it was not considering best use of space. I thought about re-pumbing it to get more available storage, but decided to put a piece of plywood with standoffs to isolate it, with storage above.

Today's project is to make sure that the leak is history, replace the aft half of the platform for the bed as it is water damaged, then make the false floor above the plumbing for storage.

There's no good house DC system, and if I have to reduce price on the sailboat, I'll take the magnum MS2000 and 2 T105's for the RV. I am also wanting to keep the icom 718 and SCS PTC - IIe. :-)
Old 07-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Keep us informed. The systems in an RV are similar to those in a sailboat. We may be able to come up with some good ideas as you encounter problems. Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat