Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Ready, Willing, and Able

Home Port: Fort Worth
Default Sailboats that make you think "WOW!" Eye Candy!

Howdy Folks! (Howdy = Ahoy = Friendly Greeting)

This is one of my first threads started here. It is on a topic that I always enjoy; sailboat design. For this thread/topic I would like us to focus on the "WOW" of boats that have a certain something about them that appeals to us because of their design. This thread is about "design" (visual elements) and some may call it "eye candy" or simply "fine design" or just something that gets you dreaming. Obviously we will all see the subject differently, but that is why I encourage you to share what YOU see as beautiful design.

Backstory: Since the time I was about 10 years old I used to look at yachting magazines and I was always attracted to those tiny little ads in the mags (pre internet days). I even started drawing plans for my future yacht, back then. Now, 40 years later, I still look at boats in magazines (or online) and still enjoy seeing their beauty and design. Some boats "WOW" me for different reasons. I can't look at a classic "J Class" yachts without thinking "WOW" and I am sure there are probably some yachts that make you feel that way too. One of my favorites is the "J Class" and here is a link to an article on wikipedia with a list and some interesting facts (e.g. they were sometimes dismasted because their rigs could not stand more than light winds) J-class yacht - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of the boats I admire are large megayachts, some are small cruisers, some are racers, some are traditional, some are modern, some are monohulls, some multi-hulls, some look sleek and some not so sleek.

I know everyone has their preferences for the type of yacht they admire. Some admire form over function. Some admire speed. Some admire strength of materials. Some admire function over form.

This thread is NOT about the merits or weaknesses of materials used in the boat's construction, as there are already many threads about Mono vs. Multi, Steel vs. Plastic, Steel vs. Aluminum, etc. And THIS thread is not about the need for maintenance (e.g. of teak decks or brightwork), Instead, I would like everyone to show us the boats that to your eyes just look "SWEET" or "BEAUTIFUL" or "WOW!" Just make a point of telling us what about that boat does make it so beautiful to your eyes. Please post a photo or a link if you can find one.

Frankly speaking, I have looked at hundreds of yachts online. After a while many look alike and lack design distinction. But, every now and then, I do come across some examples that really stand out and make me say "WOW!"

While I am new to this forum, I have seen a few photos of boats owned by this forum's members and I was impressed to see beauty in form (hull design, lines, paint work, etc.). I am sure everyone loves their own boat, but I hope this thread will also show off other boats that are NOT necessarily owned by the members, but are admired by them for their beauty. Just tell us what about those boats you do admire.

Let's let this thread be one that shows visitors the many ways something caught our eyes and to us it seemed "beautiful" or "WOW" for some reason. I will start with a few boats I found recently on the net that caused me to stop and admire them. They stood out for one reason or another. While I would expect a brand new showboat to look great, what I also admire is those boats that may have 20 or more years on them, yet they still look great! Down below I am showing (via links) two "old" boats that are 30+ years old, and one Mega-Yacht that is relatively new.
_____

NOTE: I have NO connection to anyone selling any yachts. I am merely posting links to a few boats I found online that made me say WOW.

______

Baba 40
1983 $129,000
WOW! Interior
According to the marketing blurb on this boat: "The owners had a $26K teak upgrade when built.."
1983 Baba 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Steady's Notes: I have been aboard several traditional styled yachts (Hans Christian 43 etc.). I have seen good use of teak and bad use of teak. But then I saw this interior and went WOW! Considering the yacht's age, it looks wonderful and WOW to me! A great example of the "warm wood" interior.
_______

Morgan 60 Schooner
WOW! Interior
1982 $349,000
1982 Morgan 60 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Steady's Notes: I been aboard several modern styled yachts that had copious use of teak and some with less teak used for trim. I have seen good use of teak and bad use of teak. I have seen teak that looked neglected, dark, stained, and just dull. But then I saw this interior and went WOW! Why? Well it is not just the teak that looks good. The styling, obvious care of the wood interior, light and everything about this interior was something I found exceptional. Considering the yacht's age, it looks wonderful and WOW to me!
______

Adele
Adele Design and Specifications
Engine = 1,000 hp
Length overall 54.64 m
Length waterline 38.40 m
Beam overall 9.50 m
Draft 4.80 m
Displacement (half load) 298 tonnes
Ballast weight 85 tonnes
Mainmast above waterline 62 m!!

Steady's Notes: This yacht is "awesome" and certainly caused me to think "WOW!" It is an outstanding example of design (traditional) and modern and just stunning. I always admired the classic "J Class" and this yacht's owner did too (read his remarks on the homepage for this yacht's site). See the interior and exterior shots. See the crows nest that gets elevated up the mast with two people in it! Notice that the mast is 180+ feet tall!

Notable photos of this boat on the water:

Tuomotos Lagoon Reflections:
http://syadele.com/tuamoutus_0506/01...Tuam-042fs.jpg

Cape Horn Waves:
http://syadele.com/nz_cape_images/56...Horn-012fs.jpg
http://syadele.com/nz_cape_images/54...Horn-007fs.jpg

That is my contribution to get this thread started. Now let's see what YOU see in the yachts/boats whose design you love.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Ready, Willing, and Able

I wish I could post a few photos here, but have not yet learned how to do so.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

Home Port: Richland
Vessel Name: Pacifica

Click reply and then click on "go advanced: at the bottom of the reply editor. On the next page add your reply text and then scroll down to find "manage attachments". Pics are always welcome - especially when they are such beauties!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Ready, Willing, and Able

Dear Moderators,

Thanks! I will try that.

Is it OK to post a photo from another site (a photo of a boat) that is not my boat, or is there a rule against that and only post a link to that other site/page?

I am thinking of a few photos of boat interiors I have collected while looking at boats for sale. Again, I have NO connections to those boats or owners. I simply admire what is shown in the photos. Some of the boats may sold already, some may still be for sale (I don't know) and some never be for sale or historic photos.

If I come across a photo that is "credited" I will also give credit to the photographer when known. Many of the photos I see are not "credited" and are being used to promote a style of boat or to display the boats design or designer. I suppose in those cases it is a matter of "fair use" to show the photo as part of a discussion of that boat's design.

Please advise IF there are any forum restrictions against posting photos as I have described above. .
Old 07-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #5

Home Port: Richland
Vessel Name: Pacifica

It's generally not an issue.... If an image is water marked however, it shouldn't be reposted.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Ready, Willing, and Able

Here is a photo of an old cruising boat. It is sitting on the river in Central America. But while it looks like a "cruiser" on the outside (and traditional styled) and shows some graying teak (not varnished), it is a beauty INSIDE. Check it out. (I am posting this photo as a test. I did not take this photo myself.)
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Ready, Willing, and Able

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
It's generally not an issue.... If an image is water marked however, it shouldn't be reposted.
OK. Thanks for the quick reply. I will comply.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
Ready, Willing, and Able

Trying to upload more than one photo. Seems to only upload 1, even if I have selected three images and click on the "upload" button to the right of the images. ??
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
Ready, Willing, and Able

Another view of a fine interior.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #10
Ready, Willing, and Able

Another outstanding interior.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 03:40 AM   #11
Ready, Willing, and Able

Another from same sail boat.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
Ready, Willing, and Able

Here is a photo of the boat whose interior is shown in the above two photos.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
Ready, Willing, and Able

Another external view.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #14
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Well yeah, we can dream I suppose. I'll never own anything that nice ...

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail