Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Hi ya all

Currently I'm in northern FL, St. Augustine but am considering going North with my 45' cutter. Hurricanes aside, what are the best options and what has worked out best for you? My immediate time line is 4 weeks on the boat, then after a 2 or 3-week lay-over another 4 weeks and so on. ( Work enters the synopsis here! ) The ultimate goal is Maine and I realize that after about early October it is best to have already gotten out of Maine, with poor weather becoming much more likely then. Still, there should be time for about 2 months of sailing in all and I know late summer can be really stunning there.

Plan B is to perhaps go as far as the Chesapeake area only and then later leave the boat there for the winter. Originally I was going to visit the Keys but the weather right now is just too darn hot in FL, plus the hurricane season is getting under way too. Touch wood.

Specifically, would it be a good idea to mainly day-trip along the coast with the odd over-night passages, or will it be better to try and make a long offshore run within the gulf stream first and then motor ( most likely ) to a point near Cape Cod or Maine even. What would the expected wind conditions be like? In Maine going East is likely down-wind but coming back is probably going to be a chug-chug motoring stint with the diesel. The LI sound area is I believe very becalmed at times for decent sailing

There are of course the coast pilots etc. and I could do some research myself, but perhaps someone who has done it previously can throw out some ideas. ( I'm really pressed for time right now... surprise! ) Starting earlier in the season would have been nice but ya gotta work with whats ya gots. Some lightning or other surge has caused several systems to go on the blink all at once so that is where the priorities had to be recently. Fortunately I can fix electronics but it still is a bear getting and waiting for parts.

Thank you for your help and comments, much appreciated! Even if they say: Plan C: shelve it all for this year, start over next year and do it right that time.

Ivo

Old 07-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hopefully, soon, Moderator JeanneP will come along with advice for you.

With your limited time frames, it would seem you'd have the most pleasing time to scale back your plans and head for the Chesapeake. The fall is really, really lovely there and it is easy to stash your boat there for the winter--either in or out of the water depending on your needs. Between you and the Chesapeake, you've got a few wonderful ports to visit as well.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast