Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Fremantle
Vessel Name: Southern Star
Default BVI's to Fremantle, Western Australia

G'Day All, I have just joined this site and have already gained a lot of information, Thank you.
I reside in Fremantle, Western Australia and am looking into purchasing a Beneteau 42cc or similar from the BVI's and sailing her back to Fremantle. The original plan was to ship the yacht back, but where is the fun in that. I have just started looking into this adventure and I know I have a lot of homework to do. I would appreciate any and all information anyone can pass on to me both positive and negative, from purchasing a yacht in the BVI's, the best time to start the trip, anything relevent for the trip to Fremantle and anything in between. I have sailing experience, mostly coastal so this will be a big step

Have a Great Day

Cheers, Phill

Old 09-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Captain

Home Port: Hilton Head Island,
Vessel Name: Mona Lisa

Be sure to check the boats at BVI Yacht Sales in Tortola. I've enjoyed working with Brian Duff there.

Tight lines,Bob

Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Bob,
I am actually looking at a Beneteau 44cc listed with BVI Yacht Sales and Brian has been my contact. Its good to hear some positive feedback.

Cheers,

Phill
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Second that - I've delivered a few boats for Brian and the BVI Yacht sales guys - they're good people.

Tony
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the response Tony.
After further research i have decided to ship the yacht back to Fremantle.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Ah well....yes - its a helluva long way and whichever way you cut it, it takes time! If you need a hand in the bvi's with anything regarding the boat purchase, survey, etc, etc, let me know.

Tony
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

I would be extremely cautious purchasing an ex-bareboat. With the economy as it is the companies have dropped their requirements on experience to nil just to keep the boats out on charters. You could be buying a boat that has been used and abused for 5 years by folks who either don't know any better or just don't care. We see this every day down here in the Caribbean.
Quite often major repairs are poorly done and only the esthetics are top quality. There could be major structural damage that might be undetectable by a surveyor.
On a brighter note, this sort of long voyage is usually a once in a lifetime adventure; take your time and stop EVERYWHERE and see EVERYTHING.
Have a blast!
facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

When looking for my current boat, I looked at an ex-charter Beneteau with a good price tag. The surveyor noted that the vessel must have had a significant prang as the strengthening grid on the inside, starboard side of the hull had been ripped from skin of the hull. There was no outward indication at all, except that when trying to tension the outer shroud, a small dish depression would occur below the chainplate. Impossible to fix without major destruction of the interior fittings, and potentially very dangerous.

However, this merely shows the benefit of getting a very good surveyor, rather than making a general statement about ex-charter boats.

Every thing can be seen, providing you are dilligent in looking.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

A mate of mine, not naming names 'cos he's not on here, looked extensively at boats in the BVIs and the Caribbean before finally settling on a boat for sale in Greece. You may want to check out the Greece/Turkey market because, according to him, the market seemed a bit more price friendly there than in the Carib. Just sayin'.

Tags
australia, bvi