Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
Ensign

Default looking for advice on books

Hi folks -

It has been about 30 years since I last stepped aboard and helped raise any sails. I am pushing through a new point of my life, and the old dreams are being reborn. I am looking for a bit of advice from those much more experienced than myself. My present plan is to begin reading (again) ... I have noticed that there are many books on sailing and cruising, but I'm hoping that I can get some idea as to what might be the best, most basic books to start with. Soon, I am expecting to purchase a small dinghy (12-15 footer), figure out how things work (with help), and then in a couple of seasons graduate to something like a 22-26 foot daysailer to gain more serious experience. Following retirement (possibly in as few as 10-12 years), I am dreaming of bumping up to about a 41 footer and living aboard, cruising the world, and enjoying some of the more lonely, beautiful places that this wonderful planet has to offer. So, any advice on a first good book? Thanks!

Old 07-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan

Just quoting a reply from admin to a similar query:

There is a great amount of reading matarial available and perhaps you can get some ideas from the list of cruising and sailing books at:

http://www.cruiser.co.za/books.asp

Old 07-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
imported_admin

More resources on THIS website that will assist you can be found on JeanneP's VERY comprehensive "Cruising FAQ's" page at http://www.cruiser.co.za/faq.asp. You will also find a "Cruising Dictionary" there.

Also, cruising newsfeedsare available at http://www.cruisingconnections.co.za/rssfeeds.asp. These news feeds are unusual in that they do not focus on racing like all the other sailing news resources.

Hope you learn LOTS!

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Ensign

A marvellous place to start would be:-

The Sailor's World by Arthur Beiser**

This is an extraordinarily well written and perceptive book* which I have read and reread a hundred or so times, and I've been sailing for 50 odd years.

You'll pick it up at www.abebooks.com or www.bn.com - go to second hand books.

* The author's day job is Nuclear physicist, which helps.

** his more famous book The Proper Yacht relates to your long term goals and is also in the 'must read' category.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks folks ... sounds like there are quite a few places to start! Looks like my work is cut out for me, but I never expected it to be simple. Hopefully, in a few years, I'll be seeing a few of you out there at various spots around the world!

Tags
books