Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-28-2005, 11:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Navionics v BlueChart marine charts

I am considering buying a GPS system and I have looked at the hardware of the main contenders but I am still unsure about the relative merits of the electronic marine charts supplied by BlueChart or Navionics.

I have been using British Admiralty paper charts for navigation but feel it is time to add to this with an electronic system. I am afraid that this may even be a VHS or Betamax moment, the wrong choice leaving me with an interesting technological curiosity rather than a long term supported system.

Any thoughts?

Yours,

Bill

Old 07-29-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Bill, We dinosaurs who still use paper charts and sextants are a dying breed. The two certain things about electronic charts is that they are here to stay and that as they become ever more sophisticated older versions will become obsolete fairly rapidly. However, used in conjunction with paper charts, I have found that the electronic charts which a very kind cruising friend gave to me for only a relatively small amount of beer, and which perform well in my laptop, seem to do the job admirably. However updated navigational information cannot be added. I understand the new MAX CmapNT charts cover a huge area, are inexpensive, easily updated and are used by the biggest commercial and government agencies. Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Auzzee, and any other OZ reader

Have a look at the Australian Hydrographic( sp?) Office CD charts. Its the one I would buy if and when I go again ( the one I have now is a USA CD ),but I think the OZ one .. and for the life of me I cannot remember its name at the moment , is better. Plus you can update ( for an extra fee) annually, plus you can buy the sections of the world you wish to cruise in.. ie if you just want OZ/NZ then thats all you pay for, as you venture deaper afield , you get the charts updated for that area.

They have a sample disk , avalable from Boat Books free,get one and have a look and a play with it.

rumrunner

Melbourne, Australia.

Web: https://www.sailblogs.com/member/rumrunner/?xjMsgID=5680</font id="size1">
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, navionics