Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: tel aviv
Default boat for cold weather

Hi everybody, we have been sailing for 20 years in tropical water and we are looking for a boat that is suitable for extreme weather, Patagonia, Antarctica, Alaska. 2 steering station and well insulated.
Who knows what is the "perfect" boat???
Thanks
Pnina

Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Something with a pilothouse would be a good start. Large fuel capacity. Heating.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have included a few links which, with 20 years sailing experience may be of only passing interest to you. But there are still some good recommendations included..especially from Morgan's Cloud.

The numbers of boats to have successfully sailed in Antarctic and sub Antarctic conditions is varied. A good strong offshore design, built of your choice of material, well insulated, centre cockpit, over rigged with lots and lots of ground tackle and a huge drum winch is a good starting point. Then it's all down to comfort and redundancy in systems.

I have never seriously considered the type of voyaging you are planning. I don't mind being cold, and I don't mind being wet; but being both at the same time (for an avowed tropical voyager) is definitely a no-no for me. But, I have a friend who ventured into the Arctic occasionally and he and his wife sail a Skookum 53 motor sailer. Built like a tank, roomy and comfortable, it has served them well for 18 years.

I hope the following is of some service. If you have trouble viewing any on the links, especially Morgan's Cloud, copy the link into your search field and it won't prompt you to login when you try to open it.
Impact Resistance of Sailboat Hull Materials
Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising (Everyone considering the purchase of a sailing boat should read this thoroughly)
Adams 40 “Glenshiel VII” | Sail monohulls | Boat Sales Tasmania
Recommendations For Sailing The High Latitudes In A Fibreglass Boat
(Some really good comments follow the main article in the above link)
Time on Ice: A Winter Voyage to Antarctica: Deborah Shapiro, Rolf Bjelke: 9780070063990: Amazon.com: Books
Aluminum Expedition Sailboat Morgan’s Cloud
53' SKOOKUM KETCH/CUTTER BLUE WATER CRUISING YACHT
Used Allen Payne Skookum for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub This is not a Skookum, but a recreation of an Allen Payne classic. This to me would be almost perfect....
1978 Skookum Pilothouse Motorsailor Schooner Rigged Schooner Sail Boat For Sale -

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: brisbane

Check out trevor robertson and annie hill in iron bark the boat designed by nick skeates a wylo.twice overwintered antactica, well worth a look.yahoo groups wylo11
Old 11-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

What have you been sailing for the past 20 years in tropical weather? Many sailors manage to continue sailing high latitudes with their existing boats.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

Yawarra, a steel Adams 40 went everywhere for decades. They have a blog here:
YAWARRA II - Free Travel Blogs Note that you would be looking for stuff on their original boat, not the current Yawarra II.
Another interesting vessel is Hawk, an alloy Van De Stadt 47. Also been cruising in high latitudes: Beth and Evans Home Page

A lot depends on your budget and your tolerance for discomfort.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

What is your present boat and why is it not suitable?
Lots of different types of boats hang out in Patagonia they only thing you really need is to have the ability to insulate the inside where required. I have simply insulated against the hull with 10mm foil backed foam that I bought in Ushuaia. Your windows will also need double glazing... I use cling-film on the inside seperated from the alloy frame with draught excluder tape.

Oh... and a heater...

However it is a good plan to try and live as close to ambient as you can... the hotter the boat the greater the condensation problems.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: brisbane

Hi everyone , another great site is peter smith on kwi roa .very absorbing and very informative also looks like a top boat.makes aluminium seem a top bet for extended cruising. Cheers marpro
Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 AM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Amelia Island
Vessel Name: DAGNY

We sailed a 44 Moody Carbineer to Greenland and Iceland. It was cold but bearable. Two helms.

Tags
boat