Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-04-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
Commander

I'm in the market for some grills and wondering which to get. What brands are the best, and where to find the best prices on them?

I've got two boats that need to be outfitted:

The Cal Cruising 35 already has a propane system installed that I would like to tap into. What's the best (big) propane grill?

The Bristol Corsair (24') has no cooking systems at all, and it will likely stay in US / Bahamas waters while I own it. I'm undecided between using propane camp bottles, or charcoal. The grill may very well be the only way to cook on this boat, so versatility would be great.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer' date='04 April 2010 - 05:21 AM View Post

I'm in the market for some grills and wondering which to get. What brands are the best, and where to find the best prices on them?

The Cal Cruising 35 already has a propane system installed that I would like to tap into. What's the best (big) propane grill?

The Bristol Corsair (24') has no cooking systems at all, and it will likely stay in US / Bahamas waters while I own it. I'm undecided between using propane camp bottles, or charcoal. The grill may very well be the only way to cook on this boat, so versatility would be great.
Hi,

The grill that we've been looking at is the Solaire. A versatile, efficient, and all stainless.

http://www.rasmussen.biz/grills/portG.html

but $170 for a rail mount, OUCH !!!

Now I'm in the mood for some seared Ahi

Enjoy

Rick

Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Commander

Rick,

Thanks for the heads up on the Solaire, I'd never heard of them before. Do they really work that much better than traditional grills?

I've been looking at the charcoal Kettle grills for the Corsair, does anyone have experience with these?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Ensign

Hi,

Yes the Solaire or other "infared type" grills are an advantage. In the marine enviroment 316 stainless will give you a much longer service life.

Charcoal ashes are a real problem and are slow to start. I wouldn't want to have to deal wth the mess.

Propane or cooking gas is the way to go. Have you seen the new fiberglass propane tanks? Lightweight, and you can see the amount of fuel in the tank. Ever wonder if your getting a full refill, or how much is left in the tank? They are great.

I treat the exterior of the metal valve/handle and regulator with CorrosionX and they have served us well.

http://www.litecylinder.com/purchase/

Enjoy

Rick

Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer' date='03 April 2010 - 07:21 PM View Post

I am going to guess you intend to have the Bristol for only a few years. I might suggest a cheap Colman propane two burner stove if you spend much time aboard. Maybe fifty bucks and you can get an adapter to attach it to a 10 lb tank.

I saw that you spent your first night there over Easter. I do that at least once a week just for the joy of the thing. I also love to cook and eat aboard.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Ensign

does anyone have experience with the infrared gas grills? how easy are they to clean up after cooking meat? the documentation says that drippings are vaporized .. is this true to some extent?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Commander

My neighbor had a Kettle 1 charcoal grill with rail mount which he sold me for $40. He uses the gas version and had bought this previously from my other neighbor, who swears by charcoal but moved up to the bigger version. I bought a small bag of "easy light" charcoal, and plan to put the needed amount in a paper grocery bag before putting it into the grill. Should make it very easy to light, at least the first time.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Admiral

This Topic "Cooking Off The Transom" " What grill do you use?" is a good opportunity to to add the best reason for cooking off the transom as opposed to cooking down in the galley. If the boat is in an anchorage tied to a mooring or with the anchor set comfortably, seldom will there be no breeze whatsoever and that's when its a joy to sit in the cockpit with no smoke while nurturing a glass of the best.

Tags
cooking