Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Ensign

very new to sailing havent sailed yet but can some one explain the difference between all different typs of boats.

have been reading this fourm and looking at yacht world at different boats and when i think i got it right .

exz. i thought a cutter was a hull shape and now i think its a sail shape.. all of the different sailing terms i havent figured out yet.. well thanks for your help..

reggie

Old 03-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Commander

I am also green, but already figured out that what you ask is not a matter of two sentences, but a neverending quest.

An example: I have recently seen a discussion where someone asked if a particular boat is a catamaran or a X I have never heard about before. I forgot the word for X, it was something like tube hull. And then some naval architects have debated the issue lenghtily.

I suggest wikipedia (starting at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigging seems obvious), and Surveyors Lexicon at http://www.surveyorslexicon.com/index.php .

Yeah, you are about to learn a whole new language.

And if you ask specific questions (e.g. is clutter a hullform or a sailplan), I am sure that those who know more than me will happily answer.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

The whole thing can be confusing, yes.

If your up to purchasing a couple reference books that will serve you well as a boat owner, I suggest to everyone that they get the Riggers Apprentice and the Sailmakers Apprentice. Each one is invaluable for understanding rigs, rigging, sails, as well as how to make or repair things related to rigging or sails.

Another very useful little book for anyone new to sailing is Knowing the Ropes by Roger C Taylor.

There's an older book out there that you can find used called Cruising Rigs and Rigging (or similar) by Ross Norgrove which is a good overview if you can find an inexpensive copy, that would be a good one.

For specifics to gaff rigs there are two excellent resources--

Tom Cunliffe's Hand Reef and Steer goes about telling you how gaff rigged boats are rigged and how to do various things with the rig when sailing.

John Leather's Gaff Rig Handbook has a lot of history of the gaff rig and how it is/was used in different places.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

And not to forget the information on our own Cruising and Sailing Wiki - HERE

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch