Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
srreality

Default Tell me about "living aboard"

Familiar story. I've reached a point in my life where I am tired of corporate America; not quite "true" retirement age, but close; ready to live life on different terms; always loved the water and am studying the idea of moving to a boat. My wife is maybe interested, but has health care and financial security concerns. I have lots of questions about living aboard a boat. I would like to trade emails with several experienced "live aboards" and gain some insight.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
Admiral

Check out the various cruiser's web pages. You could start with mine : http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon.asp since I love the liveaboard/cruising life. And my cruising dictionary: http://www.cruiser.co.za/faq.asp

But you should also look at the web pages of those who started and perhaps didn't find the dream to be so wonderful (for whatever reason).

Although Peter and I are now going to be on a power boat rather than a sail boat, the focus of our life, that of traveling about on the water carrying our home with us, is the same. And the freedoms, sense of wonder, and cameradery among cruisers remains the same.

talk to us, ask us questions. We LOVE to talk about this life.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
christal

Jeanne is right. My husband and I acutally live on a sailboat and are currently in Guatemala (our paradise). We weren't the true retirement age (my husband was 57 ys old when we escaped that life. We have been living aboard our boat for over two years now and love it! The slower pace of life has actually helped our health and lowered our stress level more than we thought (not realizing until after being retired how stressed we really were with our daily lives). Whether it is by sail or by power, the cruising life is great! I had very limited boating experience before we began cruising. The biggest thing, speaking on behalf of myself, is the space (not being cramped) in the boat, and the galley. Neither of us knew if I would even enjoy it, but now I don't want to give it up!

If you have any more questions, just email.

Happy dreams,

Christal
Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to lawrenceyarsulik

I am also in this same frame of mind as srreality, I happened upon this web site from reading The Log and other publications on this way of life...I love to read this positive outlook that I feel this life style would be all about...most friends, co-workers and some folks I meet at the Marinas have negative things to say on the subject, some people I know think I'm nuts for looking for a yacht to live on... I am 47 and after raising the 3 children and the youngest girl, 15, is moving back to Seattle to live with her mother after 8 years of Mr Mom here, I am just not interested in buying one fo these L.A. over priced homes or maintaining it...So I'm visiting the internet and marina's as often as I can to view yachts, learn more about what it takes to liveaboard and trying to figure out how much yacht I need... It seems to me so far, that a 50 footer seems the most roomy to live on...but I'm getting comments how much more they are to handle on the open water and maintain...is this all a fact and can it be as much as 30 gallons more an hour to be in a 50 footer ??? I understand there are many variables to this statement, such as running at full speed, siaze of engines etc, but what would I actually be able to live with in hp when I want to run to Mexico or beyond ??? Anyway, I've been told to stay in to 40-45 foot range for all the above reasons...I'm single but my 18 year old son is staying with dad and most likely will for some time...I suspect I'll have a girlfriend one of these days after I get settled...but also, love talking to experienced livaboards and getting advise on things to be cautious about in a ycht etc...Is this 'Bucvalue' a close estimate in the blue book pricing of yachts ??? I will be viewing the sites the previous guy put on this email response to srrealityto help me learn how to approach all this...

Cheers for now...
Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
Admiral

Have you visited MV Watermelon's weblog? http://www.sailblogs.com/member/mvmelon/?xjMsgID=4073

This Watermelon is 34 feet long. Granted, it's a power catamaran, so there's more room for the size. I can't imagine owning something as big as 50 feet - power or sail. Yes, the bigger the engines, the heavier the boat, the more expensive it is to run. Our little light power cat. consumes between 2.5 and 5 gallons/hour, going from 8 to 12 knots, sometimes up to 14 knots. Cruising. Much faster than a monohull sailboat, but not super fast. Why should we want to go faster and spend more $ on fuel? The voyage is part of the pleasure.

The bigger the boat the bigger the costs. More maintenance. More expensive to sit in a marina slip. More fuel costs. More everything. More work to maintain and keep clean.

You can charter power boats, too. Try a few to get an idea of what you could be comfortable in.

Enjoy.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 PM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Mine is 53' on deck...49'6 LWL, have a GM53 series diesel. At six knots I use 3-3.5 gph. My most recent long cruise was from Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays (Aust east coast) to Darwin. Over 3500 klms and I used 84 litres (less than 20 gallons) of fuel. SE trade winds gave us a good shove all the way. In the most economical of displacement motor cruisers under the same conditions, at around 35' in length with say a single 60hp, 4 cylinder diesel using I would expect 4gph, the fuel consumption would have been closer to 1750 gallons. A friend travelling in a Hatteras 60 from Darwin to Cairns recently, burned up $15,000 in diesel. Power boats are expensive beasts and if the motor decides to go on strike, you can't break out the canvas.[V]

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
rod hodgson

Auzzee, I spent six months in the Whitsundays last year, on the pick off the sailing club and also off the marina, only occassionally going in there because of the costs involved. Look back on it as some of the best of times, particularly times up around the Glouster Passage. Being a 34 footer with a 20hp Yanmar my costs were nothing yours, but then I much preferred to put up sail anyway so minimised fuel costs whenever I could.

Maybe we were neighbours!!!

Regards,

Rod
Old 08-30-2005, 09:12 PM   #8
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Rod, Maybe neighbours next time. I was there three years ago. But I am sure we will cross paths out there someday. Keep the beer cold!

Best wishes David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #9
Ensign

Lots of info about living aboard and cruising on my

web site:

http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietri...eSailboat.html

Bill
Old 01-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Ensign

You may also want to look at my parent's website at:

http://www.Windswept-IV.ca/

They have retired several years ago and now live aboard a C&C 40 for 6 months of the year or more. The site has lots of stories about their experiences day to day. Plus, every couple of years, they have written a summary of the key things they learned in their time aboard. Check it out. It may be useful.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #11
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_dietrich View Post
Lots of info about living aboard and cruising on my

web site:

http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietri...eSailboat.html

Bill
Excellent and informative site for those out there looking. You certainly spent time doing research.

Blessings,

Normandie

Tags
living aboard