Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Dana Point, CA
Default Temporary Import Permit (TIP) and Checking Out of Mexico

I have a TIP good for ten years that is still valid. Can anyone advise about what to do or if it is necessary to check out of mexico before coming back into US waters? Also, we checked into mexico through Ensenada but when coming back into the US just checked in at the Shelter Island Customs and Immigration dock but DID NOT check out of Mexico. What are the possible consequences for the boat and the crew? We still have our FMM "tourist cards". I assume that we can send our tourist cards into the Secretary of Tourism and give them up that way. Please advise.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Last I heard Mexico wasn't in Australasia.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Despite post #2 above, I am sure there will be good advice provided from people who have made the transition from Mexico to the US. For what it is worth, I was going to sail my boat up to San Diego from San Carlos to buy a heap of nautical goodies (to avoid the delays and import duty imposed at Nogales). However, I chose to ship bits direct and didn't make the trip.

However, I asked the crew at Marina Seca and they informed me that while some boats will transfer with little regard for official protocol, it was legally necessary to check out of Mexico (there are many clearance ports). At the end of the day you are sailing internationally and just as though you were sailing from the US to the Marquesas, you need to clear in, and out for quarantine, customs and immigration.

I guess the possible consequences could include penalties for illegal entry, other immigration breaches, breaches of customs laws, smuggling, and so much more which could invite fines, jail time and confiscation of your boat. Also, if you don't properly clear out, you may face some difficult questions if, in the future, you decide to re-enter Mexico.

Having said that, when travelling through the border at Nogales, I had to plead with Mexican officials to provide me with a visa as I told them I was sailing out of Mexico, not returning to the US. Although when I returned to the US briefly (before I had secured a visa on my second entry), I had no trouble going back in by road.

The best bet is to go and see the local Port Captain and ask his advice. While I understand your TIP is still valid, I don't know if its validity is voided when you clear out.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I am sure more qualified advice will be forthcoming.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:36 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Royston

Canada requires no outward clearance. Requiring it would violate our constitution. France doesn't care ,if you cleared out of your last foreign port.

Tags
baja, customs, fmm, import permit, mexico