Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
Admiral

Check this report regarding new Accuracy for Global Positioning Systems

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200909021...pbogeneral.html

Old 07-31-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Mate. won't be long and we'll be drawing our new yacht using gps!!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

While useful accuracy of the information that is used as reference is still an issue. As there are still cities that move a few meter on GPS every year due to inaccurate data reference. For us it means a little bit of more security as long as the system is functioning. I will still keep the Sextant and use it to teach math to my kids as well as a good understanding of Navigation. The amount of folks who can not orientate a chart (or in land base terms a map) is horrendous. This was stuff they taught in the very beginning of camping skill in scouts when I was young what has happened.

As for drawing up the lines and laying out the form. There is DeftShip, Solid Works, and AutoCAD type products (I am not employed by any of the those named). Which can design a yacht quite well. The building of her and the balancing of the load is another issue completely.

Enjoy the new system, I know we will in using it as a cross reference and to see what faults are in it.

Michael
Old 07-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Admiral

The GPS with all its faults and and known issues is not disguised, Try Google Earth for accuracy - find a place that you have KNOWN factual coordinates and then find it on Google Earth -- Even if NASA and the like have provided info for Google's plotting it can be dangerously wrong. Google provide no caveats or explanation.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Sir,

I agree with you in the strongest language and for that reason do NOT use Google Earth for anything that require exact measurements.

Michael
Old 08-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

As we sail around the California Delta and its many sloughs, we are somewhat amazed to note that our GPS position plotted on NOAA charts frequently is on land. This being in areas with rock levies so we can't say that it's just the movement of the sloughs and their various islands. We can interpret what is going on and the offset is always interesting. In some places, the datum isn't quite right; thus in those places GPS may be precise but not accurate enough to provide utility.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Commander

We come back to a term Red' and I know well and I bet a good amount of the rest of this board knows as well. Sensitivity and Specificity are very interesting terms and can make a world of difference in how one values data from different sources. Take Nuclear Ion based imaging (this is not MRI) and you can get extremely sensitive information, only it is not very specific which is why in some circles it is refereed to as Unclear imaging. But I digress, when we first start using GPS in the Military, many hailed it as a cure all. until a lot of fualts where found with it and the equipment was fussy about working properly all the time. When our team competed against teams with GPS we usually won (this is time orienteering over a set distance).

Michael
Old 08-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Sorry Michael, forgot to say " I am now going to make a joke". I can see the day coming when 3 dimensional space is described by gps accurately enough to build large objects. Possibly roads are already.

Tags
gps