Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Ensign

Love of Gaia needs crew!

Boat size & type: Roberts 53, steel, cutter rigged sloop

Embark port: Sydney

Estimated departure (or join) date: Mid June with luck

Arrival port & ETA (or voyage details): Various legs to Whitsundays, heading off October to avoid cyclones.

Number of other crew aboard (Skipperplus): 3-4

Crew qualifications required and duties: watch keeping, cooking, misc housekeeping, making music and storytelling.

Cost to join vessel and repatriation is paid by: crew

Estimated equal-share contribution to food/drinks: ($US Per person, per day): Food supplied to crew willing and able to assist with maintenance and fitout tasks. Alcohol excluded. Otherwise around $50/w depending on what you like to eat.

Note: NO daily/weekly charge and NO contribution towards ANY other costs (fuel, propane, fees, marinas, etc.) is required from crew.

More info: No heavy drinkers. Smoking OK topsides.

An easy cruise with stops every few days depending on weather, candidates Port Stephens, Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast, Brisbane (maybe), Bundaberg etc.

Some excitement may be provided by experimental steering system. Brand new rig.

Option to go Pacific if enough interest and required equipment fitted in time,

[Raft, HF, sea anchor]

Boat Tech details:

Construction: Hull, 6mm steel, around 30 tons. 2x watertight bulkheads.

Electronics: Half NMEA2000 system: Garmin 5012 touch screen, 24HD Radar, AIS600 AIS class B transponder (to be fitted), Airmar PB300 ultrasonic weather station. May fit Garmin VHF300ais black box DSC/AIS radio. The other half: old depth sounder, VHF radio, Raymarine ST1000 autopilot.

Engine: Nissan ED33 with keel cooling. 24v with separate batteries. 300L fuel.

Steering: skeg mounted rudder with tiller, transom mounted balanced rudder with trim tab driven by wind vane or Raymarine ST1000 tiller pilot. May fit a hydraulic ram before leaving (but will be waiting for an NMEA2000 autopilot).

Power: 10x80W solar, wind gen, 5K genset, 1800 AH house batteries in 2 banks, 5KVa inverter, 240v throughout. Most of the power is eaten by the fridge and freezer.

Interior: plywood, marine carpet, full size shower. Hot water only with genset. As the broker said "an adventure style boat" rather than a luxury vessel.

Galley: Microwave and metho.

Water: 1300 liters.

Me: not much blue water experience, but I've lived on the boat over 2 years now, and replaced just about everything. 50 plus, male. I like everything wet ..

Favourite sailing mag: Coastal Passage (cause they're rads and they like Linux).

Usual occupation: bum. In my former life I was a computer programmer.

Music: I like playing classical, blues and rock but I can't figure out how to get a grand piano through the companionway.

Smoker and non-drinker. Eat everything. Been a mad sailor since I was about 3yo (starting with a 0.2 metre rubber ducky).

Funniest moment: small yacht cruising by towing a rubber duck.

Scariest moment: half asleep at Bums Bay in Southport, woken up by a lot of party noises.. staggered up, half asleep, to see what was going on, and there was a church bearing down on me! Arrgghh did I drag my anchor or what? Oh cack, this is the Gold Coast..and that was a drunken wedding reception boat.

Best experience: losing control of the rudder on another boat a week off-shore in a 50 knot westerly and having to tack back to Australia without any steering at all.

What to bring: Boat shoes and sailing jacket and 3 sets of warm clothes required. Fishing tackle, snorkelling gear, dive gear if you have any, musical instruments, and a smile.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Ensign

Pic:

Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Ensign

[Dunno what happened to the pic .. ] Contact: skaller AT users DOT sourceforge DOT net or phone Zero Two Four Zero 466 233.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Ensign

I'd just like to say I like your style. Sounds like fun (hell?) but the time frame (June) wouldn't work for me. Not to mention stupid Continental Airlines is being all funny with MY money since they decided to merge with United. Can I have my money back, please? Oh, is this not the Continental forum? Sorry...
Old 05-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeardb' date='18 May 2010 - 07:18 AM View Post
the time frame (June) wouldn't work for me.
Feel free to contact me when you're free, unless I'm (un?)lucky enough to gain meaningful employment, I'll be cruising around for the rest of my life.. I live on the boat. I'm stuck with her. Yeah, this is because I sat in a large pot of epoxy resin.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrill' date='18 May 2010 - 07:43 AM View Post

Feel free to contact me when you're free, unless I'm (un?)lucky enough to gain meaningful employment, I'll be cruising around for the rest of my life.. I live on the boat. I'm stuck with her. Yeah, this is because I sat in a large pot of epoxy resin.
email sent.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Ytrill, I'll contact you this weekend. Thanks for providing your number, I had it in the PM you sent me ages ago but lost it when the board changed software. I may or may not be able to make the current trip but would like to catch up while you're in Sydney and check the boat out for possible future crewing spots.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel' date='19 May 2010 - 04:36 PM View Post
Ytrill, I'll contact you this weekend.
You won't unless i give the right phone number! zero four two zero 466 233,[NOT two four as I seem to have written lol!]
Old 05-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Today's looking a bit wet out. Maybe next weekend.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel' date='23 May 2010 - 04:10 PM View Post
Today's looking a bit wet out. Maybe next weekend.
Pls ring or email anyhow .. I'm going sailing on another yacht testing out some new sails next Fri, be nice to catch up!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
Ensign

AIS-B transponder and DSC radio ordered today. Now if only that pesky boat show would be over I might have time to organise the hydraulics
Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Ensign

Trip Cancelled due to lack of crew.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrill' date='03 June 2010 - 04:47 PM View Post

Trip Cancelled due to lack of crew.
Ack! No!!! That's total $#*&. I'm really sorry I couldn't make it out there. It would have been fun.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #14
Ensign

I had two crew organised (both with sailing experience) but one pulled out, and then the other decided to pull out too. Grrr .. it's freezing here now, been raining for 20 days straight.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
Ensign

Trip is back on again hopefully leaving mid August now, dependent on finding crew and tradesmen actually finishing jobs.

Tags
sydney, whitsundays