Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney
Default An intro from Sydney

Hi all and thanks for having me aboard the Cruiser Log site. They say the Tavern is the place for an intro so here we are.

I'm Pete, 31, based in Sydney, currently in the early stages of learning how to sail with a 2 year plan of buying a boat from the US or Europe and sailing it back to Aus.

I've always been drawn to the water, possibly from hearing my Grandfather's nautical tales from a very young age. As I've grown older (not up), I've progressively moved closer to the coast or the harbour. These days I walk 300 metres dragging my Kayak and paddle Sydney Harbour but it’s a lot of effort and the view doesn't change as much as I'd like. Solution - let nature do the work. That’s why I started learning to sail. I'm doing a bunch of RYA courses through Pacific Sailing School based out of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia and really enjoying it.

So far I'm picking it all up pretty quickly as there’s a lot of transferable skills form my day job. I work in Oil Rig construction doing Rope Access and Rigging. It’s a good gig. I only work 6 months of the year, which gives me plenty of time to pursue other interests.

At the moment we’re running from tropical cyclone Iggy off the coast of Karratha in the Indian Ocean on a construction barge doing 5 knots. It’s interesting being out here during the rough weather and imagining trying to survive it in a smaller vessel.

I’m a very relaxed bloke so racing doesn’t appeal to me which is why cruising is more my style. I’ve got a lot to learn and I wonder how people did it pre Internet. So far my hours of nautical education online far outweigh my hours at the helm.

So now it’s time for me to catch up on what the community has been talking about.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome! Please wander around the forums and contribute or ask questions where you like.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Welcome

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the Forums. There is so much information to be sourced from here.

I am also quite new to Sailing. I am in the planning stages of becoming a live-aboard. I look forward to hearing about you progress.

Shane (Stormy)

You cant be everything to everyone and nothing to yourself
Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Ensign

Hi Red and Stormy,

Thanks for the welcome. Stormy would you mind telling me what stage of your live aboard journey you're up to? You say you're new to sailing and in the planning stages. What have you done to in terms of training, research and planning? Are you Sydney based currently?

Thanks mate, I know there's a few questions in there but if you have the time...

Pete.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi Pete,

I wont be able to make the move to a live-aboard for about 3 years. I plan to retire from my current position then. I am currently in Sydney. I will be moving to Cairns, QLD from Sydney and thats where I will start my live-aboard lifestyle.

In the meantime, I am downsizing my personal possessions with the mindset of, if it wont fit on a boat then it needs to go. This is easier said than done as I have accumulated many many things through the years.

My exposure to hands on sailing has been very minimal. I have done a bit of twilight sailing as crew out of Townsville,QLD to Magnetic Island. I have spent two years working in the Pacific Islands and haven't been back all that long. After I move all of my possessions into storage I will then have Sundays to get more hands on sailing experience.

I have conducted extensive research through the net into sailing. I have asked many questions of those with way more experienced than myself. I have read numerous sailing related articles such as budgeting and the practical side of being a live-aboard. As I live in the real world, I like to read both the Pros and Cons of living aboard. There is a wealth of information out there from people that started in a similar position to myself and are now living the lifestyle. These articles inspire me to work hard towards where I want to be.

I will be doing most, if not all of my sailing alone so I have been looking at boats with that in mind. Its still a work in progress but nothing will beat actually getting out on the water and getting hands on.

Shane (Stormy)

You cant be everything to everyone and nothing to yourself
Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyca, sydney