Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Lieutenant

I have been told that US Coastguard actually take a sample of antifouling from yachts on their arrival to check if it is a tin based one

Is this true

Does it apply in the US Virgins

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

tributal tin (sp?) is nasty stuff. Not much reason to use it unless you already have it on the boat and are just touching up. Do you?

tributal tin (sp?) is nasty stuff. Not much reason to use it unless you already have it on the boat and are just touching up. Do you?

I thought you were a US citizen/vessel?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Admiral

Where would you have gotten antifoul with tributyl tin (TBT)? Tough to find anywhere nowadays.

If you came from a country that still sold it, possibly the USCG would get involved, though I've never heard of it. USVI? Can't say, but I doubt it.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Lieutenant

SEAHAWK BIOTIN PLUS and ISLAND 44 PLUS are featured in the 2010 Island Water World catalogue, though it states not registered for use in USA,so presumably available in Grenada, St Lucia and Sint Maarten. The 44 is also freely available in Trinidad and contains cuprous oxide and tin biocides, according to the catalogue. They are said to be very good in the Caribbean where the water is so hot. Certainly, my International and Hemel Hempadur Olympic, which worked fine for me before, do not cut the mustard in the Caribbean, which is why I am looking around

ps Cannot think why you thought I was a Yank, I am a Pom.

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Admiral

Well, that changes my answer. When TBT was still available in the US and readily available in the Caribbean our antifoul lasted 3 years between haulouts. One had to dive on the hull periodically to wipe off the slime and small growth, but no barnacles. I can believe that Trinidad would carry it - the water there is really bad for keeping hulls clean.

Would anybody descend upon you in the USVIs? Possibly. But why go there? I think you'll find the rest of the islands at least as nice, usually better. The only thing the VIs really have going for them is that the islands are all so close together that there's no challenge sailing.

Give me Martinique and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. St. Martin for duty-free everything. Tobago for spectacular coral and lovely people, beautiful and accessible rainforests (tough place for anchoring, though because it's oriented "wrong" - northern anchorages can be dangerous when a northern swell comes down, southern anchorages have that pervasive swell. but it's worth it.

Carriacou.

I still think the Caribbean has the best sailing. Enjoy.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #6

It is probably not TBT, I'd think. I know I'd read somewhere that if you start using a bottom paint with Tin in it you had to be careful of which bottom paints you applied later (unless you stripped the old paint) because of incompatibilities. Sorry to say that I don't even recall what would be incompatible since we don't have Tin as an option here. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will happen along...

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Admiral

Yup, it's TBT. Seahawk Biotin

SY WATERMELON |

Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #8

wow.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Ensign

They didn't do that with us: we arrived in San Diego, CA and the latest anti-fouling was done in Trinidad, so probably not very environment friendly.

They went inside the boat, looked at the big mess and asked us to destroy fruits, meat, fish, plants etc... I was also told they inspect the toilets, put a colored cap and flush, in the nice crowded places like the keys or the shelter islands but that never happened to us.

Tags
antifoul, usa