Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Ensign

I am considering the purchase of a Bayfield 40 from Tortola, BVI. While I have a substantial amount of costal cruising experience, I have never sailed from or to a foreign port. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. As I am somewhat restricted on time, I would appreciate any input on the fastest vs. preferred route from BVI to the Chesapeake. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Admiral

Understanding the need for experience to make the passage - perhaps an option would be to post a requirement for experienced offshore crew to assist in bringing a"purchase" back from the BVI.

see :- CREW WANTED - SAILING YACHTS LOOKING FOR CREW.

Richard

Old 05-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Ski,

I think if you look at the Pilot Charts for the month you will be making the passage, you'll be able to plan your route accordingly.

For example, leaving BVI in May, my preference would be to sail a route that is a gentle arc between the BVI and Cape Hatteras, passing through 75N-30W. The prevailing winds and currents are favorable. I'd cross the Gulf Stream somewhere south of Hatteras, and head just outside Diamond Shoals before turning north along the coast.

Unless you're really good at weather forecasting, hiring a weather routing service is a good idea (I used Commander's Weather). Gales are not uncommon in May off the Carolinas' coasts--there's one brewing out there right now. Depending on the weather, you might choose not to round Hatteras, and end up aiming for a Stream crossing further south, and then run in to Beaufort or another safe inlet to the south, and then proceed north in the ICW. You'll need good charts of the inlets and the ICW on hand, in case you need them.

Safe passage,
Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks Hud,

Sounds like good advise. Next question (if I may) When I clear customs at the BVI, I was going to sail to Puerto Rico for supplies and additional equipment. Will I clear back into the USA at that time? Any advise on protocol would be appreciated.

ski
Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Lieutenant

ski,

Yes, you will need to clear in when you go to Puerto Rico from BVI, but also if you go from USVI, even if you've cleared in there. All the info you need can be found by following links on this Wiki page

U.S. Arrival/Departure Procedures

Here's the specific info about Puerto Rico:

Reporting Requirements for Puerto Rico

If you buy a Customs decal in advance, you can usually clear in by phone, if all on board are U.S. citizens with current passports.

Tags
bvi