Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: san diego
Question info and photos about scat cat catamarans

Hi everyone-
I'm trying to obtain some photos and information on the Scat Cat catamarans. I'm looking to locally buy a 12' cat, built in 1989, but have had no luck whatsoever finding any leads online. If anyone out there has any suggestions or info on theae boats, I would surely appreciate the help!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have had a look online for the scat cat as I had never heard of the brand. It is as though they never existed. No references at all. I wonder if it was a boat name on a brand of a different name. It is very odd to find no reference at all. I would probably send an inquiry to Hobie or Maricat, as I am sure they will have knowledge of any branded class boat that was successful in the late 80s, and may be able to provide a link.
Best of luck, but it truly appears as though you may be chasing a ghost.
Cheers
David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Dunedin
Default Scat Cat

Hello,

I have one - they were made in Germany. Fast and light - I carry mine apart in the bed of my truck and set it up on the beach, one socket wrench and 20 minutes and it is off.

There is one listed on EBay. I can post some pictures if you want.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: san diego
Default Info on the mysterious Scat Cat

Howie-
Finally! I just knew that there had to be someone out there that had some familiarity with this boat. I even contacted the historians at Hobie, and they had no info. Is there any other information that you could provide regarding the background of this cat? Where did you get yours? How many years did they build them, and what sizes were available? Is there any site on the web that you know of, that has any background about the company that marketed them? Can you post some photos of yours?
I'm aware of the one on ebay, it's the one that I am interested in-

Please help my inquiring mind, if you are able-
Old 09-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Dunedin

From what I know it was at most a couple of years and this is the only model. Its definitely fast. Call TackleShack in Pinellas Park - the guy in there has an encyclopedic knowledge of beach cats. Mine came from the Keys. I would say that $1995 is very optimistic on the sellers part - google the boat name and Murrieta and you will see it was for sale for a different price a couple months ago. That said it is in awesome condition and for me the boat is very similar to a Wave in performance. I paid $400 for mine without a trailer but the tiller/rudder setup on mine is jacked up, held together by metal straps as the plastic housings cracked through - it needs to be refabricated soon but the thing still flys - though with a load of weather helm. You can drop the daggers and it grooves. I am thinking about modding it to Hobie pin mounts with EPO rudders.
I was just out yesterday, will get some pics this weekend.

Tags
catamaran, scat cat