Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Port Adelaide
Vessel Name: GYPSEAS TWO
Send a message via Yahoo to gypseastwo

Hi can anyone help me. My husband and I are Australians currently in Canada as is our boat which is Australian registered. My question is can we get a temporary import permit allowing the boat to stay for 10 years in Mexico. I know American and Canadian citizens can. What about Aussies? And other nationalities? All the web sites I have found only mention US/CAN but say nothing about any other nationalities at all. Heh they are alot of others out there cruising who go to Mexico. Please tell me how you can keep your yacht down in mexico and fly back to your country (or whereever) in the off season then return again the next year. We are trying to plan staying in the americas for 10 years if we can. It is too bloody far to sail back to our country once never mind every year.

Cheers from Gypseastwo.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypseastwo View Post

Hi can anyone help me. My husband and I are Australians currently in Canada as is our boat which is Australian registered. My question is can we get a temporary import permit allowing the boat to stay for 10 years in Mexico. I know American and Canadian citizens can. What about Aussies? And other nationalities? All the web sites I have found only mention US/CAN but say nothing about any other nationalities at all. Heh they are alot of others out there cruising who go to Mexico. Please tell me how you can keep your yacht down in mexico and fly back to your country (or whereever) in the off season then return again the next year. We are trying to plan staying in the americas for 10 years if we can. It is too bloody far to sail back to our country once never mind every year.

Cheers from Gypseastwo.
G'day 'Gypseas Two' - Alan & Lesley - Hey there - bloke & shelia you're a long way from Bundy - that's for sure. There's a Mexican Consulate in Vancouver - the addy & telling-bone # is in - google - under Mexican Consulates in Canada & USA - just keep scrolling down until you come to it. That's the best place to start. IMHO I grew up in West Vancouver & Vancouver & still have some family & sailing friends over there. Good luck & great - safe sailing to y'all. Ciao from down-under, james

Old 07-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Port Adelaide
Vessel Name: GYPSEAS TWO
Send a message via Yahoo to gypseastwo

Thanks for the tip James. I will check it out. I am sure there must be a heap of foreign registered yachts doing the "Mexico thing". Leaving their boat there for the off season while they fly out to where-ever (back to their own countries for work etc) I would like to hear how they go about this from their point of view. What pitfalls to avoid etc. Whats best, whats not. That kinda of thing. Hopefully someone will send some info.

Cheers for now,

Lesley of Gypseastwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

G'day 'Gypseas Two' - Alan & Lesley - Hey there - bloke & shelia you're a long way from Bundy - that's for sure. There's a Mexican Consulate in Vancouver - the addy & telling-bone # is in - google - under Mexican Consulates in Canada & USA - just keep scrolling down until you come to it. That's the best place to start. IMHO I grew up in West Vancouver & Vancouver & still have some family & sailing friends over there. Good luck & great - safe sailing to y'all. Ciao from down-under, james
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: San Diego

I import boats into Mexico for owners, you should be able to obtain an import permit for your vessel - I believe the 10 year version is the only option available, currently close to $56 USD as of May 31, 2012.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have just filled in the paperwork for my own Oz registered yacht temporary Mex import. I can supply details for contacts if you haven't already got sorted out. It's a breeze.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Gotta love Mexico! One of the only places in the world you can drop your boat for 10 years and not get taxed to death. In fact it will probably be in better shape after 10 years as a result of the superb marine work force. If you need boat work done, there is no better place...besides maybe Thailand for teak decks.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Dana Point, CA

I have a TIP good for ten years that is still valid. Can anyone advise about what to do or if it is necessary to check out of mexico before coming back into US waters? Also, we checked into mexico through Ensenada but when coming back into the US just checked in at the Shelter Island Customs and Immigration dock but DID NOT check out of Mexico. What are the possible consequences for the boat and the crew? We still have our FMM "tourist cards". I assume that we can send our tourist cards into the Secretary of Tourism and give them up that way. Please advise.

Tags
mexico