Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Can sail from USA to England direct

I have bought a boat and have very little experience - I have however got a crew put together who are.

My query is this - the boat is currently in Miami and I want to sail her back to the UK, whilst trying to avoid paying VAT in the Azores, for example.

Is it possible to sail directly back and so avoiding calling into EU ports - is it a much harder journey?

Thank you, in advance, for your imput.

Mark.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Commander

Mark, as with your other questions, the answer depends on the details.

1. How will you be registering the boat at the time you purchase it?

2. What are your plans for the boat when returning to the UK?

In general, the run from Miami to e.g. England's South Coast is not more difficult (nor very different) than stopping off in the various Atlantic Is. along the way but it is much longer in duration. This not only means provisioning is more challenging but that you also face the increased prospect that it may be necessary to call in somewhere along the way (boat system failure, illness, events back home which reach you via SSB, etc.). The basic run will probably be similar to the island-hopping run except you'll stay further N as you bypass the Azores. Keep in mind that this entire routing - USA's lower East Coast to UK - is best determined on a day-by-day basis with a careful eye on the sweeping LP cells that cross the N Atlantic and dictate all the major weather systems you'll see along your route. That's why many boats these days partly ignore the stuff you read in the guide books (e.g. Anne Hammick's Atlantic Crossing Guide - "go to 38-40N, then turn E") and instead use a daily routing service like Herb Hilgenberg's free 'Southbound II' service and also put aboard some means for collecting daily wx f'cast data, whether that's wx fax graphics & text f'casts, GRIB files, or other info (SSB or SatCom system). And BTW, if most of what I just wrote sounds a bit foreign to you, this is an area that would be useful to study up on a bit before leaving.

Jack

P.S. We never use Herb's service, which is outstanding since he's the Guru of Atlantic Weather, without sending him a small, unsolicited contribution to help support his large and impressive radio station. You will find his daily wx briefs to be highly valuable and the daily check-ins will begin to feel like neighborhood get-togethers among the participating boats. We always send the small contribution before leaving; that way he recognizes us and we get a little 'extra' TLC.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Both of my last 2 atlantic crossings we used weather routing...it was a mistake!! Apart from sometimes being actually wrong, they added 100s of unnecessary miles to the trips and therefore, extra days. I was once listened to Herb giving a blast to a poor fellow who was told in no uncertain terms that the weather he was reporting was actually wrong!!

I'm quite happy to chat to a passing merchantman who will give me the weather but in general I feel that if you cant cope with what the good Lord sends you, then perhaps you shouldn't be out there.

Tony
Old 03-10-2006, 04:18 AM   #4
Ensign

I didn't have much experience either when I sailed from the west indies to the Uk 2 years ago. I was on my own though. I had a great time. Could have done it in one leg but why?

Bermuda, the azores and la coruna spain are great places to visit.

If you are a UK resident you can chose to delay paying VAT on entry to EEC for 3 months. You just have to say you are only entering EEC with the boat on a temporary basis. Then when you get to UK you can contact HM C&E and fill in the form.

I suggest you register the boat on the UK small ships register.

Have a great time

Tags
england, usa