Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: san antonio
Question Free ASAP. Anywhere in the World.

Hello All!

I am a recent graduate from an environmental studies and economics university in Lugano, Switzerland where I have lived the last three years. I have been lucky enough to have spent a great deal of time traveling throughout Europe and the United States.

While I have limited experience sailing (besides infinite time on my tiny one-person Sunfish), I am an exceptionally quick learner with a very positive attitude. I am at a transitional point in my life where I am not tied to any particular spot and I would love any possible opportunity to expand upon my extremely limited sailing skills as well as to see any part of the world outside of Europe and the United States (although I would not be opposed to starting an adventure in either location).

I am physically strong, healthy, and capable of learning anything required on board. I have no time restrictions... I would sail forever if I could. Because I used to be a ropes instructor, I am very good with knots etc... I am fluent in both English and Italian, intermediate level in French, and know bits of Icelandic, Turkish, Spanish, and Greek. I have take photography, culinary, and travel writing courses and am fully adaptable to harsh or at the very least "different" types of lifestyles. By that I mean that I am very resourceful, having survived in Europe with little to no money for months on end. On that note, I have a variety of odd skills that I have obtained through these travels such as wine making, olive oil production, water sample testing, fishing, riflery, etc...

I understand the risk of taking on a 21-year-old inexperienced female as a crew member, but I feel fully capable of joining any crew that is willing to have me. I can meet anywhere in the world to disembark, although the closer the Texas the nicer it would be for my finances.

Also, if there is room for my 24-year-old brother, Sam, he would be more than happy to join us

Any advice on obtaining employment on a sailboat would be greatly appreciated and EVEN more greatly appreciated would be actual employment haha!

Cheers and all the best!

Ann

Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Ann, while there is always the real chance of finding a crew spot on recreational or voyaging sailing yachts, there is very little chance of you being paid for it. The usual trade-off is you contribute to the running of the vessel, along with all other crew, as far as keeping watches, steering, cooking, cleaning etc. in return for free passage to the vessel's destination. Usually you will be required to pay an equal share of the cost of provisioning the boat with food. Some will also require you to provide your own top end PFD and safety harness which could run you into several hundred dollars.

If you are seeking paid employment, the Mediterranean is a good place to start. However, yacht owners and crew providors who offer paid jobs require experience and qualifications which can readily be gained through many different academies and schools.

If you are seeking passage on a cruising yacht, you will need to pay in the region of $100+ per week dependent upon the standard of living required by those others on board.

Best of luck to you and your brother.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you for the response! I am not expecting any pay, naturally. I just want the experience of learning how to sail on the open ocean instead of on a lake, the way I was raised....

I would especially like to depart from the United States since I am presently located here, but would jump at any opportunity to get on a ship even if it meant I had to fly across the world. My eventual goal is to make it all the way to Australia or New Zealand, but once again if anyone has any openings going anywhere I would be overjoyed to join your crew. PLEAAAAAAASE and thank you. Happy Tuesday

Ann
annrat2009@gmail.com
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Many cruising boats will depart the US and Mexico in the new year bound for Australia (mine included). Take a peek at the Pacific Puddlejumpers website (Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site) for lots of nifty info and keep a lookout here on CL as the South Pacific weather turns toward the tradewind dominated months next year.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
CharlesAtSea

Home Port: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shamwari
Send a message via Skype™ to charlesAtSea

Ann,

If you are still looking, I am adding crew for a passage from La Paz, Baja to El Salvadore Home Page and possibly onward for Panama transit San Blas Islands and Cartagena. I am rejoining my boat this week, a fuller description will be on a post on these pages. Departure from La Paz February 1, crew can join sooner. Vessel is Tayana 37. A wife or daughter may be joining for short legs of the passage. For further info you may email back or call at five one zero 825 8552.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Ensign

Hi Charles!
I just wanted to see what your schedule looked like... Leaving the 1st ending ??? What equipment, visas, money would I need?
Happy tuesday!
Ann
annrat2009@gmail.com

Tags
australia, caribbean sail, crew, crew available, crew position wanted