Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-02-2005, 04:50 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 2 More Days

I posted a note Last MARCH about starting to learn how to sail.

On Saturday Dec. 3rd, TWO DAYS from Now, We [ Diana & I ] Leave for a Sailing School in the Grenadines for TWO weeks.

This is the Start of the 10 YEAR PLAN - Here we go...Thank you all for all your support

For Two more days I remain - TOM IN THE BERKSHIRES then who knows

Old 12-02-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
Admiral

Yay! I hope you have a wonderful time. The water is gorgeous, the anchorages are lovely, be sure to bring mask and snorkel to appreciate the lovely water.

Go guys, go!

Fair winds (at this time of year?!!!!! - the Christmas winds are coming!)

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Tom,

Full report on your excursion required within 7 days of your return..

Have a ball:0):0):0)

rumrunner

Melbourne, Australia.

Web: https://www.sailblogs.com/member/rumrunner/?xjMsgID=5680</font id="size1">
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Aye, Full Report and PICTURES to whoever wants em......

T from THe B
Old 01-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Hello All , Well, I havent posted an account of our trip because I have been too busy trying to find more schools in the BVI and Bahamas and researching Catamarans for Sale.

When we left for the Grenadines I literally did not know the Port from Starboard. After 2 weeks I feel confident enough to get on a 40 ' Sailboat and probably get in lots of trouble

: )

Now I know what the pull of the Sea is . I cant wait to get back on a Sailboat.

Jeanne , we did hit the Christmas Winds. We sailed in 30 - 50 mph gusts , the rolled up jib I tied came loose and I volunteered / insisted to go forward and Tie it back up. On my stomach ,Spread eagle on the bow, holding on to the toe rails with my ....toes, Using 5 seconds out of every 60 to get it tied back up, with a knot that I am still trying to name , I did it!!!!... before I went back I figured this is maybe a once in a lifetime thing and took a few second to look over the side, Down what seemed like 30 feet to the bottom of the swell. Way Cool.

Got yelled at by the Captain for taking so long ……..Told him I wasn’t really worried about the clock………..

Anyway , as you all know , Every minute is priceless out there.

The Grenadines were fantastic. The Winds kept us holed up in Canoauon [sp] for two days. I got yelled at [At least his look was a yell ] on Union for taking a couple pieces of Aloe for my sunburn. I’m a Landscaper darn it , I took the ones that would make the plant flourish.

The Tabagoe Cays were Magical. Mr. Qualities ocean Mall gave us all we needed.

Learned that Mt. Gay w Tonic and Lots lime keeps scurvy away….I didn t get any.

And on it goes ……

Here is where I need help

- Best charts for Stockbridge Ma.to The Florida Keys

- What are the best charts for Florida to the BVI

- How long does it take to get from Florida to the next nearest Island and wheres the best place to start /finish

- Anyone have a Catamaran Favorite – Only because I lean toward the anchoring / cocktail part of this stuff

Thank you for listening and helping . I envy you all

I remain …..for a little while …Tom in the Berkshires

-
Old 01-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Admiral

Stockbridge to Boston Harbor? Via Mass. Pike?

Next step is to haunt the boat stores, looking over charts, and all the gear you can buy. Go on line and check out charts, pilots, Dutton's Piloting, Chapman's.

Hah! You are going to have so much fun just dreaming and shopping and kicking tires.

So glad you enjoyed yourselves. And it gets better.

Buy Van Sant's "Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward, 3rd Ed.". Doing easy daysails for most of the trip to the Caribbean will take you several weeks, particularly when you want to wait out the bad weather. I loved to check out islands and distances using a computer atlas, such as Microsoft's Encarta. Once you're retired, taking your time is a good idea anyway, there are lots of places that deserve a stay of more than a day or two.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |

Old 01-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you for the tips. I ordered the gentlemans Guide...I am planning on long leisurley trips with no timetables. I wondered what to do with the boat during the Summers. I think I will still come back and work as long as I like it and I have people that I want to keep working....they have been loyal and I dont want to drop them.

Is it possible to leave the boat at a Marina in exchange for them chartering it or is that not such a good Idea. And what does it cost to keep it down there [Tortola,Bahamas] for 7 months.

Any way - sailing it up the Hudson is one idea. We are only an hr. away from there. Then I can haul it over to the shop.

SO many questions , so much time.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
Admiral

Bring the boat North every summer! The United States, especially the East coast, has some wonderful cruising grounds. My goodness, you could have a wonderful time just pottering around Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and there's so much more to this country!

If you got stuck in the islands when hurricane season started, you could bring the boat to Trinidad for storage. But I don't trust the charter companies to be particularly responsible should a hurricane hit their island. Please, please read my log about Hurricane HUGO. http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon4.asp

Be sure to click on the link to the photos (at top of page) (look at the sailboat with shredded sails!)

SY WATERMELON |