Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via ICQ to padj
Default Advice for a novice

Hi, I am interested in getting a yacht in the future (7-8 years time) with the objective of doing some local coastal sailing (SE Qld Australia) moving up to some near international travel, PNG, New Caledonea and the south west pacific and possibly further afield in time.

What I am seeking is some general advice on what type of yacht I would need, length, style etc and an idea of second hand costs. My main concerns being safety and reliability over appearance etc. At this stage I am thinking something around the 30 foot mark, with HF radio and diesel motor backup. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Pat

Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
Lieutenant

There is no substitute for experience, Pat. Get down to your local yacht club / marina, and see if you can get yourself on board a yacht as a "begginer" crew. Actually, most yacht clubs run courses fro beginners, and that might be a good place to start. After that, most yacht clubs run midweek summer "twilight" races and you can usually get on board a yacht for those (they are less serious than most weekend pennant races, so skippers are more likely to take on "green" crew.

Don't be too fussy about the boats that you sail on...experience in a variety of sizes and styles of boats will help you to decide what is going to be right for you.

In terms of price for a second hand boat...well, anywhere between $5,000 and $5,000,000. Seriously, price depends on so many different factors, that your range is pretty much whatever you want to spend!

To get a decent idea of what you get for your dollar, there are some good websites for listing 2nd hand (and new) boats. Being in Australia, you should probably check out

1. The Yacht Hub http://yachthub.com

2. Boat Point http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/ali...topDefault.aspx

Frankly, if your plan is not going to get underway for 7 or 8 years, you don't need to worry too much about costs at this stage. Just get out on the water and learn to sail!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via ICQ to padj

thanks for the info Weyalan, as a matter of fact I have already booked myself in for a 1 day training/pleasure cruise at this stage.

Pat
Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Ensign

Pat,

Put on as many 'sail miles', as you can.

How many in your family???

2 people = 30 feet.....15 feet per adult person.

You will find very different styles...one of those will "ring your bell" and you will be hooked.

Then open your wallet...life as you knew it will be over.

The pain in your face...will be from smiling all the time.

Enjoy the research, take your time and start now!

fred

They may be more screwed up than you think.....
Fred R is offline   Reply With Quote