Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Does anyone have personal experience of fitting AIS and interfacing it to a Maxsea system running on a laptop. Does it make any difference if the Maxsea is genuine or a copy ? Which model and manufacturer is recommended

Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan View Post
Does anyone have personal experience of fitting AIS and interfacing it to a Maxsea system running on a laptop. Does it make any difference if the Maxsea is genuine or a copy ? Which model and manufacturer is recommended
AIS uses a form of NMEA 083 that is a hybrid between it and NMEA 2000. In essence the big implementation detail is that is talks at 38,000 baud instead of 4800 baud. So you need a dedicated COM port running at the higher speed. The second issue is that the software, chart plotter or whatever has to be able to recognize the specific "sentances" used by AIS. On that I can not help you, I don't know at what point Maxsea added the code to recognize the new sentances. But any AIS box will interface (presuming the correct COM port settings) to any navigation package that supports the AIS sentances.

Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
We have successfully interfaced our WatchMate, and Digital Yacht, Class B AIS transponder system with MaxSea. We are using version 10.3.2.1 of MaxSea on a laptop computer, and we believe that you have to have this version , or a later version for this to work .(if you are not using original MaxSea software). There is a lot of very useful, “how to”, info and downloads on this and other subjects on the Valhalla website:

http://yachtvalhalla.net/downloads/download.htm

I purchased the WatchMate and the AIS class B transponder from Vesper Marine in New Zealand, and can highly recommend this company, both for the quality and performance of their products, and their excellent technical support.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Ensign

I have bad expirance with AIS instalation and compatibility with maxsea. AIS devise was from Digital yacht company. First you needed to ask that AIS producer confirm that it is compatible with your program version. plus it not work on 38, 000 but only 4800. second thing you needed always connect to dedicated port, it is very bad solution. Plus it works not stable.

In future I will change to Simrad AIS with separate dedicated equipment.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Admiral

In my olpinion, which is in line with ajonuska's, it is best to have exuipment from the same manufacturer if possible. Even this though does not guarantee compatability. Always check with the company's technical representative.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
cwa
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
In my olpinion, which is in line with ajonuska's, it is best to have exuipment from the same manufacturer if possible. Even this though does not guarantee compatability. Always check with the company's technical representative.

Aye // Stephen
For what it's worth in this discussion.

I have the ACR class B AIS transponder interfaced with my computer.

I use Rose Point "Coastal Explorer" as the charting software with NOAA vector & CHS raster charts.

Also have a KODEN radar interfaced into the computer.

It all works well for me.

Next item is to input my depth sounder & wind instrument through a NEMA to RS232 converter.

Carl

sv-mom.com

Sailing BC coast with our BS 36
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Ensign

I have interfaced my CSB200 with MaxSea 10.3.2.1 and successfully get the AIS GPS data locating my boat in Maxsea. It didn't work at first until I changed the sentence type to 'RMC' in the Advanced Settings section. However I am not yet able to display AIS information in MaxSea - I can see AIS messages in the ProAIS software that came with the AIS, but they will not import into MaxSea. Its probably a single checkbox that was missed, but any assistance would be useful here.

(I am also missing the option to display 'AIS NMEA 183' as described in Valhalla's AIS guide.)
Old 03-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet View Post
However I am not yet able to display AIS information in MaxSea - I can see AIS messages in the ProAIS software that came with the AIS, but they will not import into MaxSea.
Did you set up the AIS input port in the "radar" tab? While it sounds strange, that's where you have to define the input for AIS. Also, unless your copy of MaxSea is licensed for it, you still won't see AIS data - it's one of those "optional extras" that you have to pay extra for...
Old 03-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Commander

Quote:
Does it make any difference if the Maxsea is genuine or a copy ?
Don't take me wrong. I do think that piracy is the thing going on at Somalia, not at file sharing servers. And I could cite you at least ten reasons for not paying fpr software at all. But if you are reluctant to pay (for whatever reasons), why not use a software which does not impose such restrictions? In this way (even by just using it and telling others what you are doing, even better by reporting bugs back) you are contributing to a better world.

I would recommend to try out OpenCPN.

It can work with GPS and AIS, do anchor drag and collision alert, and all the usual chart plotting/navigation functionalities there.

You can download US coastal maps useable with it for free from the NOAA website,

It knows the usual map formats, so you can use most of the maps you can get.

One notable shortcoming is that it cannot read NOAA's RNC format, so for maps covering the rest of the world you should rely on other sources, like commercial maps or file sharing. (I would be pleased to see some bounty offered to the developer to address the issue.)

I am in no way associated to opencpn other than using it and believing in free software.