Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default Almost Free Energy

Ahoy All,

We just took advantage of a great government rebate program offered for alternate energy development.

Our simple goal is to reduce our personal need for fossel fuel as much as possible. Our simple quest is to build a solar powered ice maker.

We intend to carefully remove our engine driven holding plate system and replace it with a pair of modern 12V DC compressors with evaporators.

We're leaning toward installing a pair of Danfoss BD-50 compressors and air cooled heat exchangers in series with keel coolers.

Does anyone out there have experience with or thoughts on the efficiency of closed circut Keel Cooler offered by Fridgoboat?

FYI - the rebate program is funded by the fines imposed upon Exxon for the Valdez Disaster. We applied for and received a rebate in the amount of $5.00 per watt... which boiled down to $145 per 85 watt panel. We bought eight. Wind generators are included in the program, but at a lesser rate.

The great irony is we received money from Exxon to purchase solar panels made by Shell.

Any thoughts regarding refrigeration efficiency would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Kirk

Old 04-08-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Kirk, On a previous boat I installed a BD35 into the icebox. The 60 litre box was divided to allow 25 litres to be used as a freezer. The element (stainless brine tank) was in this box and the fridge was kept cold by 'spill over' from the freezer. The whole kaboodle was run by one 12v/75AH battery and a 40w solar panel. I could run the system, without starting the engine to top up the battery, for 4 days. However, that boat was small (27), was used mainly for weekend trips and I live in Darwin which is about 30 yards from the centre of the sun. If I was to change the large, 2 box system in my current boat, I would install 2 x BD50, 2 x 80watt panels and a wind generator, along with 300AH in battery storage. The local hippie from Alternate Energy Supplies (and hydroponics) says this would be more than adequate for tropical cruising. David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Oops..early morning! I forgot to mention the previous system was salt water cooled. Waeco has a heat exchanger which is installed at the galley sink through hull..works fine and requires nothing more than cutting a slightly larger hole at the through hull. DF

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Commander

Check out the Tropicool system. It seems simpler with fewer parts to break. I'm not sure about energy usage though. Alex on Namaste runs this system. Check him out online at Project Blue Sphere
Old 04-26-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
Ensign

Gallivanters,

how do you apply for the program? I just bought 2 new kyocera 130s and I was wondering if anyone could apply for the rebate? I am in the US.

Petar
Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
JohnW

Kirk, nice to see you getting some money from Exxon to help your project. Check out www.kollmann-marine.com, great information on frig/freezer design, equipment, insulation etc.. I changed both my design and the equipment used after contacting Kollman and reading his book. I only used one BD35 compressor for a 6 cu. ft. frig/freezer combination and from my experience 2 BD50's might be to much for your system, bigger is not always better. I have 2 x 100 watts panels and a wind generator (300 amp service batt.) and it works great but I am not in the Carribean, hopefully next year. Of course it all depends on the size of the box, the amount/type of insulation and how often you go into it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

John
Old 05-03-2006, 03:06 AM   #7
Mauritius44

I am new here and also interested in the Fridgoboat Keel Cooler. Has any one had experience with this unit?

Thanks in advance for info.

JohnW your like to kollmann did not work.

Fair winds!
Old 05-03-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
Admiral

Link had a tiny error. here's what it should be:

http://www.kollmann-marine.com/

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
JohnW

Jeanne, thanks for finding the mistake and correcting it. My use of punctuation was my downfall and I will be more carefull in the future.

Cheers from the frozen north,

John
Old 05-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #10
Rear Admiral

Peter,

The solar panel rebate program in the US Virgin Islands is administered by the local government's Dept of Parks & Natural Resources (DPNR). I was told by the local supplier that this program is available, to varying degree, in every state & territory in the US. Try a Google search of your state... that's how I found the local details. It's a good investment and a great deal.

Happy hunting,

Kirk
Old 05-04-2006, 03:18 AM   #11
Mauritius44

That worked JeanneP, thanks!