Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-02-2005, 02:25 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to karenmmc
Default Aquadyke 37

I'm looking into a boat that is for sale in Boston - an aluminum Aquadyke 37. I can't seem to find any references to this boat in any of the books I have or on the internet. Does anyone know anything about this boat? This one has a manufactured date of 1968 - and appears to be in good shape. I'd appreciate any info or opinions! (Offshore cruising, liveaboard is the goal Thanks, Karen

Old 11-02-2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Admiral

I just went to the boats.com website to look at the boat. A 37' aluminum hull for $38,000 sounds like a good buy. Although the pictures aren't that good, it looks as if it's a home built interior.

Is the only sleeping space the forward V-berth? No quarter berths or pilot berths? I wouldn't be happy blue water sailing with only a forward v-berth - most uncomfortable in any type of chop. And I would take the comment "Voyageur can average 150 miles per day" with a grain of salt.

I think you need to check it out carefully. It's a custom design, so I doubt that you're going to find much information. (link? http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_details....se&showMD=false

Have a good surveyor check it over VERY carefully. For all the good things about aluminum, electrolysis is a real and very serious concern. Wiring is usually copper, and any stray copper falling into the bilge is going to eat a hole right through the aluminum. So if they haven't replaced the barrier coat, ask that they not do so until after a survey.

You need to have a knowledgeable surveyor willing to get on his hands and knees to check the hull.

Somebody else should comment on a double-ended hull. Not having sailed on one, I can't judge, but I view them with suspicion. I hope that Jack or another more knowledgable person will also comment.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan

hi...

what is the meaning of a double ended hull?

chetan
Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
benscottrobinson

You asked for an opinion on a double ended hull..? Well I'm not sure why you'd view them with suspicion, as they have been used since the dawn of time on the most seaworthy vessels!

From viking ships, like those that crossed the 'dragons back' of the North Atlantic via Iceland and Greenland, to Colin Archers, arguably the most seaworthy vessels ever made to Suhaili, the first single-handed round the world race winner.

These have all been double enders. The maths is that a 'bow' type construction at the stern is very bouyant, and can take a substantial amount of water dumped on it before 'pooping' (becoming swamped, and so sinking) - a lot more than a transom, sugar scoop or counter.

The other reason is that a rudder mounted on a double ender is fixed firmly to the strongest part of the boat, and is easily accessible, so should the worst happen it's easy to inspect and fix, unlike a fin and skeg arrangement which requires you to dive... not always ideal in the type of environment where you are likely to lose steering...

It is also a very efficient stern, offering a clean run-off with little turbulence.

I would be a bit concerned about the shallow keel (thinking righting moments and stuff), but a double ender is a good bet for blue water cruising.

Ben

3 months, 29 days and 4 hours to go...