Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
Ensign

Hello,

I am planning on going down to Mexico after Christmas to start looking for cruising boats to crew on for the next year. I have already left my job and I am in the final processes of leaving home.

My concern is that with the current economic situation people might not be out there cruising. Will I still be able to find boats to crew on?

Any insight would be much appreciated!!

-Willy

Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello Willy, aka Redskiesatnight,

Good question, I guess the cruisers that call their boats their home, will certainly be moving from one place to another - plenty of them.

You might start by posting your plans in the forum 'Crew looking for positions' - give as much detail about yourself that you feel will be useful for skippers looking for crew.

Good luck

Richard

Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Ensign

Our friends just left San Diego for Mexico. She said LOTs of boats joined the Baja Ha Ha to Mexico - can't remember the number, but over 100 for sure.

= Davao, Philippines,
wiskun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

We were in Cabo when they (Ha-Ha-ers) pulled in...lots of boats still cruising.. 181 total this year! Personally I believe cruising during an economic down turn is a good plan as long as you finish the cruise as the economy is well on its way to recovery. This will make it easier to get jobs upon returning.

Some good friends that returned last year from a circumnavigation are still looking for jobs and said they wished they had stayed out a few years longer.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Some good friends that returned last year from a circumnavigation are still looking for jobs and said they wished they had stayed out a few years longer.
I've heard similar. Now is a great time to be cruising. Expect it to stay that way for 2009-2010.

Good cruising to all

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
We were in Cabo when they (Ha-Ha-ers) pulled in...lots of boats still cruising.. 181 total this year! Personally I believe cruising during an economic down turn is a good plan as long as you finish the cruise as the economy is well on its way to recovery. This will make it easier to get jobs upon returning.

Couldn't agree more!

Rent out the house, sell the car, surrender the leased pen (There's a saving of $6000 for the year), and head out into the blue. Mind you, we'll save far more than any of these by simply putting a lot of sea miles between us and the nearest ships chandlery store. Although that will mean we won't be able to claim them as dependants on our income tax return next financial year!

Count down mode here as we get the life raft serviced and install the last of the new toys - 2 months to go - anyone recommend a good patisserie in New Caledonia?

Fair winds
Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
Ensign

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words!! Keep 'em coming!

Fair winds to all!

-willy
Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #8
Ensign

Actually, my question would have been is not going cruising. With the economy in the dumps, what better time to go off sailing. Did SoPac in '74-'76 and missed that lovely economic time. Got back just in time to get the uptick in the economy. Suffered through the 80 crash. Found a seller who'd trade his Valiant 47 plus cash for our house. Figured we could cruise for a couple of years and sell the boat for a profit when we got back. Unfortunately, wife nixed that idea and came within a hair of going bankrupt keeping my business aflloat. Would have been dollars way ahead if we'd gone cruising. This one I'm going up the inside passage to Alaska.

Aloha

Peter O.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #9

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Aloha

Peter O.
I'm with you Peter. Roll with the punches--cruising now is a great thing to be doing

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote